1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brit in Mid East needs help with Herbs

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Julie1962, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Julie1962

Julie1962 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I live in the middle east and even now in November the outside temperature is 80F and the sun is always shining.

I've grown mint and chives outside in the winter (from a well established plant) and they last about 2 months before the heat gets them.

I've now started growing, from seeds, mint, toms, parsley. I put them in potting soil (only thing available here), but plastic bags around them and they were doing well. Once they were about 3 inches high, I removed the bags and left them where they were, inside (temp about 75F, by the window, getting some direct sunlight for about 6 hours a day. After a few days they just all died on me.

Now I'm trying again, with a new batch and I'm at the 3inch stage again. What do you advise, what am I doing wrong.

Please bear in mind there are limited supplies of the normal gardening stuff. Had to bring the seeds and other bits from UK to start with. There is baby bio ocassionally in the supermarket but not always available.

I have a few questions also......

1. Is it ok to keep herbs growing inside? (due to the extreme heat outside)
    2. What is the recommended temperature to grow them at?
    3. Direct sunlight or just in the light?

My biggest problem is the heat and growing conditions for herbs. Winter temps only down to 65F and by Feb back up to 85F again!!!

Any help appreciated.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Julie.. I can see no problem growing them indoors over there, as long as they have plenty of light & you can keep the roots cool by shading them... DO NOT put them in direct sunlight as it will just boil & frazzle them as you have found..!! Poly bag or not..!! :wink: Find a nice bright spot that does not get direct sunlight that is little cooler & you will be OK.... :wink: Well that is my thoughts & I have a small home in Jamaica I go to every year.... We have mint growing no problem in the corner of the yard that only geta a little filtered sunlight each day & it grows well as long as watered daily... Good Luck..! :gnthb:

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,883
    Hello Julie and welcome to GC.

I know only too well how frustrating it can be with every 'frying'. Our temperatures range from a low of 35F for a couple days in the winter to a high of 104F in the summer. Our high today will be 78F with a low of 60F tonight.

You do not say whether you have your herbs on a balcony or in a garden. Is there any shade available? The only herb I have found that totally tolerates full sunshine and drought is Rosemary. I can keep Mint, Parsley, Chives and Sage from year to year, however, they are in part shade so do not fry. Herbs like Coriander and Basil only last a couple of months. Mine are all in pots so are in potting compost. I don't feed mine.

Six hours of sun is fine for them, however, I think some fresh air may be necessary. The main ingredient is water, sometimes two or three times a day, especially tomatoes.

Good luck and keep us posted how you go.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,963
    I tend to think you need to go with what you have.

In some ways its easier to heat plants than try to keep them cool in order to grow then.
    Costs a bit more though.

But if its too hot I cant see the point in trying to grow plants such things as mint, unless you can grow them in the winter, (such as it is), and discard, or let them die down in the summer.

We dont get herbs all year round due to cold, with you its the opposite, growth in the winter and nothing in summer.
    Stick with Mediterranean type herbs and you might stand a chance, but a bog plant like mint is pushing it a bit, I think .It even dies off here in mid summer if we get a dry spell.