1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bargain British Hedgehog Preservation Society - seeds 50p

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by Linz, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    "Flower and foliage seeds - Annual, Biennial, Perennial seeds.

All items have been donated to the BHPS – some trial packets

(all “use by” 2017 or later)

Suggested donation of 50p per packet, minimum order £1 excluding postage, postage is 60p total up to 4 packets then 5 packets or more are free postage.

For UK postage only as I do not know local restrictions on seeds in other countries.

Please contact the seller with your choice of seeds from the list below before paying for the item. When you let me know your wants and I will relist them as a Buy it Now for you specifically - please only pay when you have received my Invoice."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flower-seeds-Pick-Mix-from-100-packets-of-flower-and-foliage-seeds-/282354238856?hash=item41bd9fc588%3Ag%3AMmMAAOSwUKxYf7vV

Also veg seeds.

Vegetable seeds - Pick & Mix packets of vegetables, herbs and fruit seeds | eBay

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • RobinS

RobinS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      SIDE QUESTION about hedgehogs.

I'm replacing old side passage gate and want to provide access for hedgehogs, none the least to allow them to come around the back & feast on slugs & snails. What is minimum size hole I should design into the gate?

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      I'm not connected to the BHPS.. but I would imagine the size of a cat flap with no lip on the bottom where the fence/gate meets the ground.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Someone's into hedgepigs on here, think it might be @Kandy

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,937
        About the size of a 4 inch round pipe :dbgrtmb:

• Useful Useful x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,867
          • Useful Useful x 2
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            75mm/3 inches gap, if through a fence minimum150mm/6" wide, if through a wall remove a single brick (and mortar).

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
              Ratings:
              +28,496
              3" may sound too small to some but a Hedgehog can squeeze through it but cats, small dogs/puppies and rabbits can't.:smile:

• Useful Useful x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                But that size gap can permit a puppy to get it's teeth in action against the bottom of the gate, like what ours did and now a small dog, cat, rabbit, or even a young badger could get through the flippin great hole he made, which will be repaired whilst still maintaining hedgehog access.

Time to re-post the pic of the cute abandoned baby hedgehogs I rescued some years ago ......

hedgehogs.JPG

• Like Like x 3
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +6,543
                  @Linz try and make the hole as large as you can because if a hedgipeg has eaten lots of nice dog food then they can grow to be quiet a size so the larger the better:biggrin:

We are due for a return of the four babies some time this month that we took to the rescue centre before Xmas so not to sure as to what size they will be due to inactivity :biggrin:

Never believe the bit about eating all your garden slugs as I had two I rescued years ago and they turned their noses up at the slugs in the garden:sad:

I hope we get ours back before I go into hospital soon as I want to get some photos of them before we release them into our garden as I won't be walking anywhere for the first two weeks and I don't want to miss their release although knowing our luck as sooon as they sniff the fresh air of freedom they will be straight off into the road to get run over:yikes:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                    Ratings:
                    +6,224
                    Thanks @Kandy but I it was @RobinS who asked :) I have lots of gaps they can get through.. saying that I've only had 2 hedgehogs in 9 years :(

Aw I hope you get to see them released too (and get piccies!), hopefully you'll be back to your normal self after the op in no time with all the walking you do :dbgrtmb:

• luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                    Ratings:
                    +6,899
                    I take in and rehabilitate injured and orphaned hedgehogs. Also over winter the autumn babies born too late in the year to attain hibernation weight. I have four here at the moment

Slugs and snails form only 5% of the hedgehogs natural diet. They are also intermediate hosts for Crenasoma, which can be passed to the hedgehog. It's quite normal for the hog to have a few parasites, in a healthy hog they present no problem. However, if the hog is compromised through illness, injury or stressed in some way the parasites can become a big problem. They begin to multiple and will make hoggy very poorly. If left untreated it can be fatal. A heavy parasite burden can also occur if the hogs eat a lot of infected slugs/snails because other natural foods are scarce. Most of the orphaned and injured hogs I get have heavy parasite burdens.

Providing supplementary foods ( kitten biscuits, wet cat/ dog food ) is very helpful for the hogs. You can also offer chopped peanuts, sunflower chips, sultanas/raisins, chopped chicken, dried mealworms - although should be fed as a treat to adults and not fed to little ones as they contain no nutrional value. Good for bulking up adults in the autumn.

A 4" square hole is fine to allow hogs access to your garden. Some hogs can grow to 13 -15 kg, so they might struggle to get through smaller gaps.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +6,543
                      Sorry @Linz I need to go to Specsavers as I was sure it was you who wanted to know about the size of hole,oops:snorky:

Yes I am/we are still walking and have managed to achieve 177.75 miles over the last two months although the last two days I was a bit exhausted on the walks as we have been doing other stuff so had to stop for a few seconds a couple of times as my feet bones were killing me:sad: After the 21st I won't be doing much walking at all to begin with so am getting all my reading/puzzle books, blogs and internet gardening sorted and I suppose I will be watching some day time TV for once:snorky::Wino:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        Last edited: Mar 4, 2017