1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bromeliad house plant care

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by clueless1, Dec 7, 2017.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hi all.

I currently have two bromeliad plants in a window. They don't get too hot or too cold, they get plenty of sun but not so much they get roasted alive. But their predecessors died, and the current two are also struggling.

Any tips on looking after them, or should I give up and swap them for something easier?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Any pics Clue?
    @strongylodon is well up on Bromeliads.

I only grow pineapples, not had much to do with the ornamental types.
    All I know is you need to keep the top of the plant topped up with water, warmed rainwater is best.
    Once they have finished flowering the old rosette dies, but new side shoots should form if the plant is happy.
    You then need to grow the new shoots on for a couple of years or more before flowering again.

Getting them to flower again is not easy.

So sadly most people discard them after the flowers fade.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,506
      A pic to give us some idea as to what they look like would help to see why they are struggling @clueless1.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I'll try to get a pic or two on later. But I think I've been naughty with regard to watering, in that I forget for days on end, then give them a good soak when I remember. Their friend is a massive spider plant, which thrives with the long dry spell followed by a drenching, and with spidey being the centrepiece, I think I often overlook the differing requirements of other species.

• Friendly Friendly x 1