1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

brown patches on newly laid lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by russjet, May 25, 2009.

1. russjet

russjet Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Hope someone can help me.

I have just laid a new lawn in my back garden and I am now seeing some brown patches appear.

The largest patch is a brown strip across one stretch of turf. I am also seeing a number of smaller patches which appear to be increasing in number.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what maybe done to remedy?

Thanks.

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking not enough water. It has been quite warm these last few days, and turf will drink water in this weather.

Hose pipe out, and get soaking, especially along the joints, as this is where I'm guessing most of the brown patches are.

It would be good to have a photo, if possible, just to confirm, but that is my guess.

Hope this Helps!

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Soaking" is the operative word I think.

It won't do any good sprinkling some water on the turf, it needs to have a really good soaking.

I would put a shallow container (Indian / Chinese take-away type container) on the lawn under the sprinkler and make sure you have put between 1" and 2" (so say 2.5cm and 5cm) of water on.

Then you shouldn't need to water for a week in "inclement" weather, 3 days if the sun is out.

4. russjet

Ratings:
    +0
    we have had the sprinkler going for about an hour morning and evening under the turf is cold and moist but not sodden
    the worst affected areas are two strips (half length ways) of both strips have gone quite brown at first i thought they had dirt on them as they were brown on nice grass then the grass started to go browner, there is still green grass on the two brown strips
    I will get my husband to add a picture later on.
    and will add a tray tp see how much water we are actually soaking it with.

thanks

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I would have thought an hour with a sprinkler would give you more than an inch of water. But it depends on your water pressure of course!

6. russjet

Ratings:
    +0
    the pressure seems quite good
    to be fair I would not think we were not watering enough, I was worried we could be over watering even.
    it is almost as if half of the two affected turfs have been sprayed with weedkiller!! it is that specific, which has not happened while we have owned the turf or under the turf before it was laid either. we laid it friday and then laid what spare we had in the front garden so as not to waste it.

thanks

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Can you post a photograph? That might help with diagnosing it.

I think you are watering too much at 1 hour morning and evening (I don't think that much will do harm, but I don't think it is necessary, but I'm not knowledgeable on turf so I would like to hear other people's views :) )

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I doubt over watering will be the probem, it sounds more like the brown areas need more consolidation, idd lift a corner and have a look.

If needs lift them, put some extra soil under and consolidate.