1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brown spots on new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by MattWR, May 11, 2009.

1. MattWR

MattWR Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've recently laid a new lawn in my garden and a pesky fox (I think) has urinated on some bits in one corner resulting in some large brown/yellow spots amongst the beautiful green.

Can anyone reccomend a product that can help rescue it?

Also, does anyone know of anything good to keep the fox out of my garden? I'm thinking some kind of repellent?

Thanks!

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey,

Get plenty of water on your brown patches, it may just dilute enough and encourage new growth.

I think that foxes don't like the smell someone elses wee, so........ or its into different fencing etc etc.
    Someone will be along to confirm my suspicions!

Perhaps a photo for the brown patches would help, or at least a record for yourself so you know if they have grown or changed in anyway.
    Hope this Helps!

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Matt, Ive just had to patch a bit of my new lawn (yesterday) because of my dog Cassy, When i was taking the brown grass out it pulled away easily, it was dead so no chance of it regrowing..Sorry I dont know what you can do about the Fox, But someone will advise you :)

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Foxes are a pain - try being a chicken keeper :mad::mad: There a few old wives tales about repelling them, which I guess worked when foxes were wary of humans, but due to urban dwellers filthy habits of dropping fast food all over the streets, the fox population has exploded and it ain't afraid of humans.

The ones I've heard include bags of human hair (hairdressers?), lion dung spread around your boundaries, even humans urinating around the perimeter of your garden. The sonic repellents you can buy are a waste of money I think.

If they're a real pest, try the pest control service with the council, but don't hold your breathe - foxes are ickle, fluffy creatures, so unlike the Mr Ratty, Mr Renard still has a good reputation! Sorry to any fox lovers, but as a chicken keeper, they're the enemy!

Maybe look at making your fencing secure - as you would do to keep a dog out?

5. MattWR

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I've been heavily watering the brown spots as well as using a 'lawn greening' lawn food spray thingy that attaches to my hose, this has helped improve other areas of the lawn so I sill see how that goes. The actual grass in the spot isn't dead, it's just discouloured which is the frustrating thing. I'll try and get some pics so you guys can have a proper look.

As for the fox, it's a bit of a nightmare to try and completely secure the fencing as we have an old Victorian wall at the back of our garden that has half fallen down and the fox just jumps over that (I assume). I've had a friend advise using Scoot, has anyone had any luck with that?

Other than that, I may well try my own urine - done during the dead of night of course!!

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    It's called "communing with nature":thumb:

Its mating and rearing young time now, so the fox will be getting desperate and therefore daring to get food. Once the young are raised, it might move on and or least stop coming into your garden. There are some silly people out there who insist on feeding foxes!!

7. MattWR

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, that's what I'll tell the neghbours if they see me!

I live in an urban area in a terraced house and always see foxes roaming about, I've even had one lay down and block the middle of the road when I've been out in my car! They should hopefully stick more to rooting through bin bags than my garden when they realise there isn't much food in there.