Brown tinge to grass/slow growing and seeding

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Scotty2088, May 30, 2021.

1. Scotty2088

Scotty2088 Gardener

Ratings:
    +188
    Hi all

this is the 3rd year of owning my lawn and the worst it’s been. Two previous years the lawn was fab but this year really struggling.

Under close inspection the lawn has a brown tinge at the root, it’s very slow growing and never grows that long or looks deep green like previous years.

I fertilised earlier on in the year the same way I have done every year. We have had plenty of rain so I know drought is not an issue. I have attached a close up photo but it’s not great to see my issue.

Attached Files:

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    There are many reasons but usually Grass can turn brown when its roots are no longer absorbing the necessary nutrients from the soil – grass can also go into a dormacy stage. Dormancy can be caused by drought, flooding, too much watering, extreme heat, extreme cold, or poor soil

However, brown grass could also mean dead grass. But It’s can be difficult to tell the difference between dormant grass and dead grass, but. You could grab a handful of brown grass and pull if it comes out easily with no resistence then its dead and to help it a, fertiliser is often the best option, but only when used correctly. Improper use, uneven spreading, and over-fertilisation can sometimes make matters worse. but if the whole lawn is brownish or yellow it could have entered its dormancy stage and if its not dormant or dead then you could have lawn rust which is a fungal disease The Rust is identified by pulling a couple of blades out of the lawn. The lawn blades will be coated with orange-red to yellowish brown dust or spores. Get a fungicide to control it

Water lawn in the morning if needed not at nightand take proper care of your lawnmower Sharpen the blades of your mower regularly. Because Dull blades fray and shred the grass instead of cutting them cleanly. This makes then turn dull and unattractive. Adjust your mower blades to the correct height for your lawn.

Cutting it properly allows it to grow in a healthy manner and prevents brown spots. Cutting grass too short weakens it, thus making it susceptible to disease. Mowing the grass too high allows it to hold too much moisture. Both may result in brown grass blades.

Mow your lawn more frequently when it is actively growing. This is much better than cutting the grass blades too short. And If you leave your home for vacation or cannot mow due to frequent rainfalls, it is better to adjust the mower to cut 1/3 of the height and then wait three or four days to cut it to the normal height for your grass also Read the directions well on herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.

• Like Like x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      You need to consider along with fertilising the turf the other lawn treats like scarifying. The problem is thatch production is increased when fertilising and different grass types produce this at different rates. The fertilisers that produce fast growth tend to be the culprit with thatch. Too many treatments of such fertilisers end up causing more issues.
      You also have to consider compaction so aerating might be required.

hard to see what’s going on but best practises mitigate issues.