1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Its on my must have list, I have been looking to buy, but not sure of variety to go for.

I have seen some lovely double pink and orange ones, but would also like the scent.

They also seem to be more readily available from seed, I have been watching some seed on ebay and it has got up to �£29!!! I would really like to know haow easy they are to grow from seed before I buy - don't mind waiting for them, but I would like to be in with a chance of getting there.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Evening, Waco. I have two, the white and the pink. Although the white had a headier smell, I don't like it's leaves ... HUGE ... and the pink one seems to flower more.

Mine are outside in pots in the filtered shade ... seed for �£29? I think a few folk on here do them from seed every year.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Quite easy from seed Waco but that seed must be something special to be up to �£29.
    I think you could well get a plant or two of named varieties for that sort of money.
    I've not grown any for a while apart from the sanguinea, I think if I did, i would spash out on a named variety or two, there are some really special ones and the scent will be assured.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Waco Brugmansias are a bit of a passion with me the seeds on e-bay are exceptional I know the guy selling them wish I could afford them they are usually snapped up by the americans he also has seeds that are not as rare and are conseqently much cheaper the ones sold in this country are usually(pink white and yellow)the suaveolens type there are lots of different types the Sanguinea described by Pete is a beautiful red doesn't have a scent likes a cooler Summer or it drops its buds,lots of good stuff herehttp://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/
    also if your dead keen join our guest forum here
    http://forums.brugmansia.us/index.php

5. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Waco

I have 2 Brugmansias - a yellow and a peach one. I got one from Wilkos for about �£4 and one from the local GC for the same - they were small plants about 6" high and in the boxes - you know the type - every spring you can get hosta, perennials, etc....... I was going to buy from Jungle plants, but couldn't justify the cost. Also these cheapies have done really well - they even flowered just before Christmas whilst outside in the carport!!!!!! (and in September) The scent was beautiful!!!!

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well pete has encouraged me to have a go from seed, walnut encouraged me to splash out and buy from the guy on ebay (I think he may be German) but HB there is a lot of common sense in getting something localy that is tried and tested, so I am still thinking and going to have a good look round Walnut's link.
    THANKS

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    He is German Waco his name is Volker Sanders he is a very helpful guy I got some seed off him a month ago his seed is always fresh and the fresher the better with Brugmansia seeds

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have been trying to get into brugmansia group, but it does not seem to want to let me in so will have to try later.

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
  10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Checked the link Waco its ok sometimes it can be a bit slow the ABADS site LoL has suggested is another good site worth checking out

11. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL got the site thanks, but still having problems with the other one, it just does not like my user name and pass word, but when I try to register another one, it says I already have one. I have written to webmaster, but as yet have had no reply so live in hope!

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Stick with it Waco the webmaster will get back to you she has had the flue and has a backlog of mail

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  14. garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I found that brugmansias grow very easily from cuttings and they grow so fast that mine flowered in the first year. If you can get some it's really worth a try.

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    I just gave a 5 foot tall white one still blooming away yesterday as they get a bit out of hand here, even in pots.

I have kept my beautiful pink one, however, and have cut it back drastically. Tt is such a joy to look at when in bloom and the leaves are prettier and smaller than the white one.