1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

BT Wifi

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Jack Sparrow, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I seem to be having issues with my wifi. At times it is very slow and it even times itself out occasionally. My wife's phone throws her off the network. We had visitors recently and none of their phones would connect. All of our devices have the "!" Symbol. I have read that this could be for many reasons all of which go completely over my head.

I have run all the diagnostic checks on the bt website. Download speed is 36mps which it tells me could be better. I have run a other check on a different site which tells me that 38mps is the best I can hope for on that line.

Equipment diagnoses tells me that everything is fine up to my hub.

It seems to me that download speed isn't the problem. I don't know where to start. I can't call out a BT engineer if the fault is not with the equipment. I would just get a huge bill and look silly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

G.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,018
      I'm getting the same and I'm with virgin, my Wi Fi is pretty awful.
      It seems to stop working and then start again, I keep getting a page saying there is no internet, then it suddenly starts working again and the page I want comes up.:scratch:

I'm just putting it down to crap technology just not working as it should, which is pretty normal, I find, with modern stuff.

• Like Like x 2
      • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,782
        Most people operate their smartphones with default settings which means that both WiFi and Bluetooth are switched on and so could cause radio interference.

My laptop had this problem - whenever Bluetooth was switch on to stream music to my Bluetooth headphones, the WiFi connection would be lost.

I went through a process of elimination and eventually determined that it could only be due to radio interference.

I deduced that my laptop Bluetooth module operated in the lower frequency range which coincided with the default channel 1 range on the broadband router. So I just logged into the router and set it to operate in a higher channel and the problem was solved.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,204
          Hi,

Just state you have a download speed of 36mb but is that with the computer connected via wifi or cable to the router ?

Which ever on it is, you need to run the speed test on the other to see how efficient the base wifi connection is .

Are you using this tester - Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          BTW Performance Test

This is the test a ran on my tablet. I don't have anything that plugs in to the router (except the bt TV box which works perfectly 99.99% of the time.)

G.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          As most folk know. Computers & tech things & me don't get along together. I use Virgin. We had to enter the modem number on our mobiles and all works well. The laptop remains connected even in the garden and workshop. Landline handset has been OK several hundred yards away from base.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,018
            You land line handset work differently, but my Wi Fi struggles with my house that has concrete walls.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
            • Mike Allen

Ratings:
              +6,097
              Pete. Is the concrete reinforced with steel rods. Perhas asking Virgin about it or raising the matter on their forum.
              As you rightly say. Basically some techie bits work, others don't. We pays our money and we tak a chance.

• Like Like x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,495
                I know nothing about the tech side but I had problems with my connections (BT) the other month. This may have nothing to do with your problem but I phoned BT (wasn't asking for an engineer to come out but just for some help) with the problem. It wasn't a wifi problems but the router was occasionally going down for a minute or so. The engineer on the helpline was very helpful and took me through a number of procedures including unplugging (not just switching off) the modem. He stayed on the line all the time whilst this was happening.

Eventually he said, I'm not sure what's wrong but it would be easier for me to send you a new router and see whether it works OK then. It arrived two days later. By then I wasn't having any more problems so I haven't changed it over as the one I'm using was only six months old. They haven't bothered to contact me to send the 'old' one back although the paperwork with the new one asked me to do so. :noidea:

Try talking to them on the help line. If you phone fairly early in the morning you tend to get someone in the UK and I find them more helpful. :)

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  Using this thread, simply to keep computers in place. A couple of days ago. I discovered I couldn't get onto the net. The modem lights were all on but no service. Being as I am with Virgin, I rang 151. The typical recorded answerphone. After some blah, blah etc I was put through to an advisor. Friendly sounding chap, but sadly. I couldn'y understand a word what he was saying. Honet. I felt so guilty....sorry, I can''t understand you. No problem Mister Allen. He suggested what to do. Next day, still no internet so I phoned in again. This time what sounded like a Spanish lady took my call. My hearing and brain went int shorthand mode. I related that in the past, the similar problem resulted from someone servicing the street cabinet, had dislodged my connection. She did some checks and said it was my hub/modem. She asked if I was disabled and relied upon the internet etc. I said yes. A new hub would be sent out. This arrived today 15.2.20
                  The courier handed me a box marked VIRGIN. I tried to make a funny. Oh! A virgin in a box!!!!! No response. I then set about installing it. Granddaughter Chloee had to rescue me. Now I'm up and running. This sad old git has to admit. Those few hours withouit being able to chat on GC were hell.
                  Did make me laugh. The record message included. You can of course contact us via. Virgin Media .com

Hey luv. Me internet is down. Never mind. Yours truly is now up and running. So...............?

• Like Like x 5
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,204
                    Hi,

You are not alone, many times we also find it very hard to understand these folk who are from a foreign county/language, particularly when some of them talk very quietly or more often very fast.

We have also had a few times when the engineers have distrubed our connection when working on the local cabinets, last time they said they had put an extension cable on our line to help prevent it happening again.

Though probably not happening again to your line, should you loose the cable connection you can use your Smart phones Tethering connection connect your PC to the internet, sure your young ones can guide you there.

Of course you can use any smart phone to access the web, but like us, you will probably find the small screen and even smaller keypad a pain to use.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +86,018
                      I find Virgin is pretty good, but getting through to someone who actually speaks English is a big problem, they mostly just work from a set of questions that are usually asked, if your problem is something different they just fob you off with a load of old rubbish.
                      Sometimes I think it depends on the time of day which you call, depends on what kind of service you will get.

Speaking to "Ronald" in India is unlikely to sort out the problem, unless its something minor.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +118,495
                        What's a Smart Phone? :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
                        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,204
                          No excuse for being a Grumpy Old ... :biggrin: .. though the kids use it as a play/social thing to us oldies it can be a life saver !

• shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,495
                          I've got by for over three quarters of a century - and I'm too feeble to carry a heavy thing such as a mobile phone :old: :heehee:

When I was a lad ...

• Agree Agree x 1