1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bubble Wrap Insulation for greenhouse - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by JWK, Oct 14, 2013.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,127
    Anyone bought any bubble wrap recently and can recommend a good supplier please?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Are you after UV Stabilised, or "quick-rot" :heehee: ?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +46,127
      I'm after the proper UV stabilised stuff :blue thumb:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,900
      I used to get it from work;)
      Along with something called "Correx" or "Cordex", and some PVC tape.

Great for building one winter protection outside on nanas, just build a ring around a few sticks, stuff it with straw and hold it in position with the pvc tape, works a treat.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Elixir Garden Supplies on eBay maybe? I've bought quite a bit from them over the years. Quick delivery, products have been OK etc etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400567279298

30M x 1.5M = £44.99 (inc postage) - i.e. £1 per sq.m.

Curious to know how you are going to tape it up ??

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +46,127
          Good idea pete, I was thinking of trying chicken wire stuffed with straw this winter for the outside stuff, but your idea sounds easier.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,127

Thanks Kristen, that seller didn't come up in my search (I was trying bubblewrap and your link is bubble insulation :blue thumb:)

I'm not sure whether to tape or not, in the past I've just used the 'quick rot' stuff 'borrowed' from the packing dept at work. I guess the tape won't easily come off the good stuff if I want to keep it for the following year. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the cheaper 'quick rot' variety and chucking it away in the spring.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I think if it is not taped there will be too much air movement between the glass-side and the plant-side?

I know the norm is to use spacers to stand-off the bubblewrap from the glass, but I wonder if a "curtain" approach would be better (and would be more akin to what is done in commercial greenhouses).

Horizontal wires at eaves height (probably a bit higher so you can physically stand in there!) so maybe a wire end-to-end along the middle of the house, under the ridge, at the lowest height that you can stand under, then a wire end-to-end just below the eaves, and then drape the bubble wrap over it so that it hangs down the sides too, taped/joined into a single piece. Probably needs to be taped to the frame along the bottom (in a way that can be un-taped in spring), to stop glass-side cold air falling "under" the curtain. Then you can remove the whole one-piece curtain in Spring.

In a commercial greenhouse they would "draw" back the flat false ceiling curtain, and I suppose it may not even be transparent as it would be more important that it was a good insulator - they re-heat the space above the curtain in the morning, once warm enough they open the "curtain" so the plants get light, as normal, and then close the curtain again in the evening to reduce the volume of air to heat.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          P.S. What you are you trying to look after? I am increasingly of the opinion that it is easier, and possibly cheaper, to construct a very well insulated "room" in a garage, and provide some artificial light. For exotics that may only need to be "tick over" light, for dahlias it can be "No light" of course :)

probably with greenhouse, over winter, is that the light (from Sun) is rubbish, compared to Summer, and in a lousy Spring like 2013 everything is on the drag. With artificial light you can bypass that problem.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,127
          I have the horizontal wires already in place Kristen, in previous year's I've just draped the bubble wrap over them rather than using the special clips. At the ends I've had to use clips though to get it shaped into the roof apex.

I've never taped the bubble wrap together before though, so I'm going to do that this time for the reasons you describe.

Interesting, too time consuming for me though :)

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,127
          I've got quite a few tender things to over-winter. The tuberous ones that die back (Dahlias, Cannas etc) are easy, it's the usual suspects that need a bit of light that I failed with last year: Brugmansias, Succulents (Aeoniums), Cycads and Ensetes. Also I'm trying to overwinter my New Guinea Impatiens.

This winter most of my plants can come indoors into a stripped out spare room. In future that room will become my office and won't be available for big plants so I need to experiment now in keeping a section of my greenhouse frost free. If I lose too many plants over-winter then maybe I'll have a go at making an insulated "room" with LED lighting in my shed (or when phase II of my extension is finished which is a underground garage in our front garden).

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Blimey! That sounds like a major project. Let me guess: lots of Boys Toys involved? :heehee:

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,127
          It is pretty major excavations and requiring money I don't have, so it won't get done for a few years yet :)

It's just for cars Kristen, no toys, honest :cool:

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I got some from Arco....600mm x 75 mtrs...£26.40 inc vat....big bubbles....i ideally wanted the wider rolls and the small bubbles but it wasn't in stock and i couldn't wait:rolleyespink:
          Work in progress....
          DSCF9861.JPG

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +46,127
            Thanks for that Loli, very useful to see how you are doing it.

I'm going to drag everything out of the greenhouse, disinfect and clean the glass before putting up the bubblewrap. Must be looking at a few hours work I reckon.