1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved (buddleia davidii) Tall Leafy Shrub

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by JustKia, Jul 12, 2012.

1. JustKia

JustKia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    This is roughly 5ft tall at the moment, doesn't have any flowers that I could see. Unknown-04.JPG

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
  3. JustKia

Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you very much =)

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    It'll be 10 ft by the end of the year. To be honest I'd move it, as its a bit close to the wall. It's roots will mine into the mortar of the brickwork. Its not deep rooted and transplants easily, but if it gets into the bricks it will be a bit of a pain to keep under control.

Remember to cut it down every year too. It grows extremely fast (0 to 12ft+ in 6 months in a good summer).

5. JustKia

Ratings:
    +15
    It is right against the wall. I have no idea how long it's been there. It is pretty inconvenient where it is though as it's spreading out across the driveway.
    Will look into moving it. I have several places where it may be suitable along fence lines so no walls to get damaged.
    I'm scribbling notes to look up as I go but any info on how far and when to cut it back would be greatly appreciated as I'm a complete newbie to gardening.

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Buddleja is virtually indestructible, so most of the rules can be relaxed in its case.

For moving it, you have two options, assuming digging it out is going to be difficult because of its position.

1. Dig to free up as much of the roots as you can, then just use brute force to free the rest of it. Buddleja wont care, but don't do that if your bricks aren't solid, and I might get told off for suggesting that because if its already got hold of your bricks, you might loosen part of the wall. If you go with this option, which is easier than it sounds as buddleja is very shallow rooted, then cut ALL of the top growth off down to about 1ft high, then transplant where you want it and water well (although probably no need with the weather we're getting lately).

2. Cut some branches off, about 2ft long. Cut both ends so you remove the growing tip. Shove them as far into the ground as you can push them, leaving just a few inches and a few leaves above the surface. You'll lose some, but most will take. Then just poison off the original with Round Up, and then cut it away once dead.

For maintenance, cut buddleja down to about 4ft after flowering (autumn), then down to about 1ft in spring. Do that every year and it will stay lush and bloom well.

7. JustKia

Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you so much, sounds like it shouldn't be too hard a job.
    Will keep an eye on the bricks as I go - fingers crossed that they're solid - it's the front corner of the house, so if they aren't that could be a big problem - yikes!

8. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    good news if you do manage to kill you can pick up plants 10 for a penny or just go dig one up from some waste ground (you didn't hear it from me:snork:)

9. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    It will be just about to flower so if it were mine I'd wait until after it's flowered just so I could enjoy the sight/smell.

I grow mine in a container so it's can't take over :)

As Clueless said, if you take cuttings they are fairly easily grown - I took a couple earlier this year and just popped them in the compost next to the mother plant until they rooted, then moved them into a small pot.

10. Cactusface

Cactusface Gardener

Retiered, Ex retail photographic!
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi All,
    I am just amazed at the places we find Buddleia growing on our walks, in tops of old factory guttering, on the outside of brick bridges and old buildings, any piece of waste land that gets left empty for a couple of months. It's everywhere!! and as Clueless says you can't kill it, or at least not easy!! But I still like it and we have one in the Garden too.
    Regards
    Mel.

11. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I visited a ruined building recently and growing out of the ruined wall was a Buddleia with the BIGGEST blooms I've ever seem. Obviously had had no attention, pruning, soil for that matter and yet is was far superior to any Buddleia I ever seen including those in smart gardens. Certainly better than my tended ones!