1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buddleia Hit By Frost

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hetty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi :)

I have three lovely healthy Buddleia in my back garden which I adore, which I foolishly deadheaded in the spate of wonderfully warm weather we had a week or so ago..however I noticed a day ago (after a particualrly windy and snowy day) that the green tender tips of the plants have gone all droopy..I thought maybe it was lack of water after the dry spell, so I gave them a good water, but no droopy they remain..I'm now thinking that because I stupidly pruned them a little the frost has got to them..can they be saved or will they die? We are having a garden party in June and I'm desperate for them to look lovely and full of flower and butterflies..they are easy to grow and cheap to replace I know, but I don't want to unless I really have to..all advice greatfully welcomed, thank you! (and please feel free to call me a fool!)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I pruned mine about 3 weeks ago and just been up to check it after quite a heavy frost overnight. No sign of any frost damage on mine. I think your's will recover when this cold snap is over. They are very tough plants and will send out replacement shoots.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think it will be fine. It is quite common practice to cut them quite severely as early as February.

Buddleja is as tough as old boots. I've seen it get through far worse than a bit of frost. Give it a few weeks, I bet it comes back.

4. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks to you both :)

Just to be clear though I did not cut it back severely (I have done that in the past ) I literally just trimmed the tips to dead head it - it is a full grown large plant..have taken some pictures to show you - and today it looks worse than yesterday, the droppy leaves are going brown - should I trim it back to the woody part then?

[​IMG]

5. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
  6. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
  7. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've always pruned mine right back to about 18 inches in early spring because it makes for a bushier, healthier plant in my experience :)

8. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Merle :)

for sure, and I did do that last year, it was just because of the garden party in June, I wanted there to be something of substance there (it's on June 3rd) and I just didn't know if I did do that if it would grow enough before then to make a decent show.

9. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    It looks as though there is a lot more pruning needed on that specimen Hetty.
    Crop back to below the drooping leaves and let it go from there.

10. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks GCC, I will do, and hope for the best!