1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buddleia leaves going yellow, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Hetty, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I have two buddleias, planted on opposite sides of my garden shed. The one on the left hand side is thriving, the one on the right is growing well, but the leaves are turning yellow with brown splotches, but not falling off as of yet. What can I do to cure this? will it die?

I don't have a close up photo (camera has disappeared) but this is a photo of it's position at least.

[​IMG]

This one, ath the other side of shed is doing fine.

[​IMG]

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,560
    Buddleia are usually one of the toughest plants and without seeing a picture I'm taking a guess. Could it be lack of water, or may need feeding? Could you put your area in your avatar box please? It helps when answering questions as plants have different needs in different parts of the country or abroad, members can also check your weather and climate too. :)

3. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi :) I live in the North East, and have fed it with some general purpose plant food, here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi Hetty
    Is one side of your garden more well drained as I suspect "water logging" may be the problem with the one that is not looking so good , when did you plant them ? and does the water fall off the shed ? directly on or close by to the roots

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,177
      Good thinking Batman

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,595
        Its been very dry up in the north east. I've actually lost a couple of established shrubs this year to the dry weather. Buddleja is tough, but it is shallow rooted. Its quite drought tolerant but no plant is totally drought hardy (well ok, maybe cactuses are).

• Like Like x 1
        • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
          Ratings:
          +1,984
          My new buddleia has a couple of yellowing leaves. I think it's lack of water for me as everything else is more or less the same

• Like Like x 1
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,595
            Also need to check for aphid infestations with buddleja. Check right in the sort of junction between leaf and stem, they all accumulate there and feed and thus starve the leave, turning it yellow. I don't know if we've had more or less or the same aphids this year cos I've not been out in the garden much, but its worth checking. Also check the undersides of leaves.

• Like Like x 1
            • Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
              +12
              Thanks all! Have checked the leaves, no aphids. I'm not sure if the rain falls off the shed roof onto the roots, but that is very likely - though we have not had so much rain this year. It is hard to see in the pics but it is planted on a slight slope, so the water should run off a bit in theory maybe? It was planted 2 years ago I think, and I don't remember having any problems with it, but the garden was very much neglected last year so might not have noticed. There used to be another one further down the slope which grew very well but the better half cut it back too far and it never recovered. The stone chippings are new this year, so perhaps that has done something to it. I have fed it with general purpose plant food, but it has not improved..would you recommend anything else?

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,560
                It looks like that could be rust on the leaves Hetty and I'm not sure what you would treat that with. I've been looking around the web for information and two suggestions I found were red spider mite and earwigs.....earwigs only showing themselves at night. :doh:

Other than that I can only suggest as others have that it's lack of water. You say the ground is on a slope so the water would free drain away from it. Try creating a little hollow around the base and pouring water into that, it will hold it in place and soak in not allowing it to run off.

• Like Like x 1
                • Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
                  +12
                  Just been out in the pouring rain, can report that the rain does not pour off the shed onto the roots, it just kind of drips down the side onto the concrete slabs the shed is laid on..so the area is receiving water but not more than it would be in a normal rain shower...the water is not focused on that area intensely.

• Useful Useful x 1