1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buddleja rescue mission advice

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by NewBhoy, Aug 27, 2015.

1. NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
    Dear all, my neighbours buddleja took a beating in the recent high winds here and was fairly blown over. Where it was planted wasn't ideal so we've tried to rescue it and have planted it in my garden where there is more shelter.
    It's looking a bit sad a week on, is there any advice to help the chances of survival. It's a young buddleja black knight. I've attached a photo. IMG_6842.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Buddleja are pretty hardy, tough plant, NB, but I think it's probably showing a bit of stress from being moved while in full leaf and growth......it's always better to move shrubs out of the ground to a new site in late Autumn and Winter while container plants can be planted anytime. Obviously, circumstances made you rescue it and move it to a better place, so you did the right thing.
      So it's just a bit unhappy about being moved in Summer. The best thing to do is firm the ground around the stem with your boots and water it well for a fortnight or two.
      Just to give you an idea how hardy Buddlejas are.........some years ago I cut some branches from my Buddleja to use as Pea sticks and left them over the Winter stacked by the side of the House. I forgot about them for nearly two years and then, remembering them, stuck them in the ground as supports for some lanky plants. When, in the Autumn, I went to pull them out of the soil I found they had rooted and were starting to show leaves!!:coffee::heehee:

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Patrick,

Good on you for rescuing It :)

I think you should cut it down, perhaps taking all the new soft growth down by about half. This will help it to retain moisture ( fewer leaves means less water loss through transpiration ) until it can send out new roots.

Make sure you keep the plant and the ground around it well watered.

The young shoots you've cut off you could always use as cuttings, giving more plants for next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        To be honest, Anthony, I think to "cut it down" right now is not a good idea as the plant is already stressed:dunno:. I would leave it for now and then lightly prune it in late Autumn. Leaf loss is not going to harm it at the moment and the plant is best left to it's own devises until it has got over being moved:coffee::snork:.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hi Armandii,
        I was just worried that it was going to lose too much moisture before it had the means to replace it.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi Anthony, no, your thinking is right if, say, the Buddleja had been in the ground for some time and suddenly showed problems but this particular one has been moved only recently and to subject it to a cut back might just stress it even more.:dunno::snork:

• NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
          +67
          Thanks, I'll make sure it stays watered over the next couple of weeks. I'll post an update in a week or so. It sounds as though the buddleja is certainly hardy enough to stand a chance, even with me tending it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Yep, keep us updated, NB.:thumbsup::snork: Just an add on to the testimony of how hardy and adaptable is.....if you've ever been to an old abandoned industrial estate or factory you'll more than likely see Buddlejas growing in the eaves, roofs, broken brickwork, etc........they're great survivors!!:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
            • NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
              +67
              A month on and the Buddleja seems to be doing well. The limpness in the leaves has gone and there are numerous new small buds coming on. Thanks again both.

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,830
                I agree with Anthony; cut it back. With lots of leaf it could transpire as he says. Keep it watered for a few weeks but it will probably be ok whatever you do as they are very tough plants.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Again I would disagree about cutting it back, as it would appear that the Buddleja is now recovering from the stress of the move. Right now Buddleja's are in the throes of finishing their flowering and will use their leaves to take on energy ready for next year. As the plant is not fully mature, if I remember correctly, I would leave any pruning until early spring as that it when such pruning encourages new wood.:coffee::snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
                    +67
                    Yes, it is still a pretty young plant, certainly no where near as bushy as some of the ones I've seen locally. It's coming on well from where it was and I've been diligent in the watering so I think it will definitely make it through. The pic below shows the difference in the leaves from when it was first re-planted (above).

IMG_6865.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Yep, looks pretty happy to me, NB.:thumbsup::snork: Normal pruning of mature Buddleja's is to hard prune them back to, say, 2 or 3 buds on the old wood, but I would think that pruning your young Buddleja will only require taking off the top half next Spring and then normal pruning the next year.:coffee::snork:

• NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
                      +67
                      Excellent, thanks all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1