Buddleja

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    20190622_135810.jpg

This time last year my buddleia was in flower. It was also looking a bit parched. This year the plant is looking a lot healthier but there is no sign of buds forming. I guess they will come when they are ready.

A quick check on Crocus' website suggests that this variety (Tutti Frutti) blooms from July to October. It also says that it is deciduous which it isn't. The other thing it says is that it needs to be pruned hard in March. I have had it several years, 3 or 4 maybe, and I have done nothing to it. Other than feed and water it of course. What effect would pruning it have? If it doesn't soon start paying for itself I have had thought of replacing it with something more aesthetically pleasing.

G.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,940
    @Jack Sparrow
    I'd describe mine as semi deciduous, so in cold winters they lose their leaves, but in milder winters they keep most.
    The cold June has slowed things down a lot around here although the recent rain was much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      Hi @NigelJ Thanks for the reply. How is yours currently? Would replacing the compost for John Innes No 3 make any difference to its performance?

G.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      @Jack Sparrow these are last years cuttings of white and yellow ones, they are just budding, I don't know about the Tutti Frutti but in general buddleja don't need much care and are normally vigorous and thrive in poor soil and as you probably know grow like weeds in derelict land.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Give it more time Gary......everything seems to be 3 or 4 weeks later than usual :) Agree your plant looks healthy enough and I would expect it to flower. I would simply feed it once a week with a tomato fertiliser, a high potash feed.

However, for me the dwarf buddleias do not do too well in containers after a couple of years or so. I end up planting them in the ground....or giving them away. (I find them disappointing) In my experience, they require better soil conditions than the regular types (that thrive in poor soil and neglect). Regular feeding too.
        John Innes? I always use JI in preference to mpc for long term container plants :)

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1