Budget raised pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by nikirushka, Jan 23, 2022.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I'm looking at building a 2.5x1x1m pond. It has to fit in a specific spot so I've got no leeway on the dimensions.

What would you recommend for budget construction options? I've got plenty of pallets but not sure they'd be sturdy enough for that depth and volume.

It doesn't need to withstand winter temps as this one would be going indoors.

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    Brick or breeze block with a internal lining or glass

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

If its for indoors then consider a strong wooden supporting frame lined with thick plywood and then use a liner and underfelt.
    An alternative could be a frame around a pre formed pond ?

Would be a bit dubious about a frame of brick or breeze as their strength is downwards force not lateral.

The volume of water you are talking about , if full, is 2,500 ltrs which is 2,500 KG
    Is your floor strong enough ?

At 1m deep thats going to be harder to reach to maintain than say 500 or 600mm, do you need that 1m depth for a particular reason, eg Koi.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,410
      We built reservoirs using breeze blocks to collect rain water from the glass houses and polytunnels.
      We poured sloppy concrete down the cavity of the blocks for extra strength, still standing after 25 years and they hold in excess of 50,000 litres.

You could use wooden pallets, are they strong sound pallets though? I go through a couple hundred pallets a week, some I get given are only good enough for kindling though.

You would probably need solid wooden pallets reinforced with plywood, like below.
      pallets.jpg

You would need brackets and braces to add some strength. Personally, I would go down the breeze block route or recycled railway sleepers.

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
      Concrete floor so it'll be strong enough.

It's for large tropical barbs. It doesn't have to be 1m deep, I could go a little shallower. Say 70cm minimum. The footprint is the more important thing for them.