1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Budliea

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Ruth82, May 13, 2020.

1. Ruth82

Ruth82 Gardener

Ratings:
    +122
    Evening folks I may have spelt it wrong but I'm sure you understand.
    I have a a budliea that's growing under a small apple tree. When I moved in two years ago it just looked like a dry log/root but grew flowered so lovely in the summer.
    I've cut it back to about 50cm in autumn/or early spring this year.
    How is the best way time to prune it should it go back every year?
    Also it only sprouts from one end of the 'bare root' and has a Mid section (marked on picture)of The 'bare root' has come away is it on the way out? I hope it is not as is a lovely plant.
    Thanks Ruth

Attached Files:

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    They will grow pretty much every which way but loose, and you can generally hack them back as much or as little as you want every year.

When we moved in here we had one that had been trained into a tree - 15ft and more, and every year it would look smashing in flower. A wind took it five or six years ago and I had no choice but to hack it up and dig out the root - as it gave us a lot of space back, I decided not to replace it with a similar size tree, but instead put a small golden delicious apple tree and an acer nearby.

To this day, I have bits of buddlea springing up, even as far down as my greenhouse (a good 30-40ft from the position of the original tree). Tough as old boots.

• Like Like x 2
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,270
      @Ruth82 I wouldn't worry too much the leaves in the picture aren't wilting and so long as it continues to grow and flower don't worry. You are pruning correctly and yes cut it back as you have done every year. If you are in a cold spot wait until spring to prune it back as young growth can be killed by a hard frost, but they come again just a bit later into flower. I would dead head it as the flowers finish to prevent seed getting all over the place and to encourage more flowers.
      If you look around you will see Buddleja growing all over the place out of walls and gutters, on railway embankments , chimney stacks etc.

• Like Like x 1