1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buidling a small walk way onto small front lawn.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Zola, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Zola

Zola Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Hi folks,

I have a very small lawn at the front of the house (that's been a bit neglected!). It is a little awkward to get the mower onto. I have to use a plank to wheel the mower onto the grass, over the bed. The photo isn't the best, but the bed width is the same the whole way round. The window sill got in the way!

I have highlighted the blue area where I plan to build a small walkway. I was thinking of using a couple of paving bricks on each side to act as an edge and then have a small bit of grass in the middle for the mower to pass over. The soil is about 15cm below the lawn edge. If I got that bed to be a bit more level to the grass and dug out a small trench, added mortar and set the bricks on would that be a decent plan?

I am a relative newbie, so any advice is welcome!

1.jpg little focus into getting it into shape.

2. nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
    Ratings:
    +2,908
    Bricks (on their end) sound like a good idea, I wouldn't bother with the mortar to be honest. Probably just some sand to get it level.

Here's a path with bricks I've done recently:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      I've had my borders widened recently and I've just laid a slab straight onto the soil. If it drops at any future point it's easy enough to lift it and raise the level of the soil underneath.

You could either cut it to size or else cut some of the lawn out to accommodate it, which would allow the lawnmower to run over it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,494
        Not quite the same, but last year I laid a slab path across the edge of a small lawn and also use it to get the mower on to the lawn.

Instead of trying to make an edging to stop the slabs moving I used angle iron at the sides. I just cut the iron into 9" pieces and hammered them into the soil alongside the slabs, making sure they were just below the top edge of the slab.

Total time taken to hammer them in - 10 minutes. :blue thumb:

The cut edges of the iron have weathered and are now hidden by soil.

I put the pointed edge towards the slab as it seemed to me that this was more likely to stop the iron moving away from the slab. If it was the other way round I thought that any movement of the slab might force the pointed edge through the soil.

10 months later - no movement. :smile:
        P1210862.JPG

P1210863.JPG

• Like Like x 1