1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

building raised beds- help please!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lazy-gardener, Mar 8, 2006.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello all, In my wisdom I have decided that I would like a couple of raised beds in the patio area. (new patio yet to be laid) and was reading up on it and even for a small wall it seems that foundations and hardcore and things are needed and this has put me off somewhat. is it possible to make raised beds out of something (wood?) and not have to did foundations? There are so many other things to do that if foundations and things have to be dug then i dont think it will happen in the near future.

2. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, timber is fine, just use log roll if you want a curved one, or pressure treated planks screwed to vertical battens pushed into the ground for straight sided beds.

Some people line the inside of the planks with polythene if they are worried about chemical leaching.

Or you could use railway sleepers (traditional type are banned now I think) but if you have the cash and want to make it look nice then consider the modern oak replacement sleepers.

Or perhaps, since it adjoins the patio, you could stand paving slabs up on edge and half buried in the ground to form a vertical wall -
    just a thought (needs to be more below ground than above).

Hope this helps.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    we've got loads of scaffolding planks that were left here when we got the house - they're being re-used for all sorts - and one is my raised bed! Totally agree - you need lots under the ground level, as well as whatever amount you want to raise it by, otherwise you wouldn't get the advantage of depth for size of root veg, or warmth and protection from the main ground - it'd be just like haveing a big container, with all the temperature fluctuations they have.

4. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    yes, I like the idea of using planks of some kind.I dont like the look of the log rolls so don't think i will use them.If I am using them just to grow a few perennials and shrubs in what kind of height would they need to be?

(ps the computers have all broken at work and i can only get on the internet!! hence the many posts)

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    my excuse is the weather and a bad back!
    Re your q - you can have it as deep or high as you like, for isnstance, if you wnated it to be an easy height to maintain, eg for someone in a wheelchair, you could have it pretty high! So up to you, really. the depth of tap roots of dandelions, or even carrots, are an absolute minimum imo - I'd tend to go for at least 2 spades depth - what do others think?

6. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Lazy-gardener,
    click on EDIBLE GARDENING, then on VEG GARDEN PHOTO, the raised beds were made of barge boards, supported by 2" x 2" stakes put every 3 feet, then galvanised nails used to fix.
    black strong polythene tacked to the inside, then filled with imported soil that had been steam sterilised....not cheap...but no nasties!

7. DoubleD

DoubleD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I 'aquired' a couple of solid packing boxes from my place of employment (3x4 ft),constructed from pallet wood,but solid, stained them a pretty colour and currently planting them up. I think these are ideal because you can cut them to any height & even if they only last a couple of years, they make a quick & versatile raised bedding area......no hard work involved.....and more importantly...little expense.Regards DD

8. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    well you ahve all given me things to think about. thanks for all the info