1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bulb advice

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Jurassic Gardener, May 2, 2019.

1. Jurassic Gardener

Jurassic Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Not that new to gardening as such but I am quite new to growing summer bulbs. About a week ago I planted a pineapple lily bulb, a dahlia rhizome, two Asiatic lily bulbs and a Colocasia bulb in individual pots. I left them outside in a sunny and sheltered position. Is that the right thing to do? I don't have a greenhouse, so if they needed to be someplace warmer it would have to be indoors.

If you could advise if they are alright as they are or not that would be brilliant.

Many thanks!

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @Jurassic Gardener , I agree with pots for the Alocasia and Pineapple Lily but the Dahlia should really have been planted in the ground. The Asiatic Lilies can go into pots or the ground but the pots must be large deep ones as they should be planted around 4/5 inches deep.

3. Jurassic Gardener

Jurassic Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi @KFF thanks for the reply - I do intend to plant the dahlia out once it gets going, I just put it in a pot until it got going. Do you think that's alright?

As of today nothing is showing in any of the pots. Do you think they are okay left outside?

4. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,508
    scrap some of the compost off and have a look to see if the dahlia shooting , it should be planted with the top of the tuber just below the soil / compost level. Have a feel of the tubers ( finger like roots ) if they are soft they are rotting should be nice and firm.

I start my dahlia off in pots then plant out when the weather better.

5. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    First time with Asiatic lily bulbs for me too, I restarted the bulbs from last years plants a few weeks ago in a cold (but with frost free heater) greenhouse, I read to start them off in pots a third full of compost to the tips of the bulb then when grown another third top up the compost again and when an inch from the top, top up again, it's worked for me but probably started a few weeks early.

Attached Files: