1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Bulbous weed at edge of borders

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Kon, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Kon

Kon Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    I'm learning the weeds that live in my garden. But over the last few days I saw a few shoots cropping up in my raised beds that I don't recognize. On investigation these are attached to a little bulb.

Plantnet suggests Muscari or Star of Bethlehem, both of which I did see in my garden in early spring. But I didn't think this was the right time of year for them? And of course Plantnet is less accurate when it only has a little stem to work with.

2. Kon

Kon Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Scale: these little shoots are 1-2cm long

Attached Files:

3. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @Kon , sorry I haven't got time to do an indepth check right now but they are Spring bulbs. You'll find that a lot of them send up new growth in Autumn and are green all through the Winter. Replant them at a depth of about 3 inches. They'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Muscari are just starting to send up shoots in a couple of my patches. It’s about right for them. They start leafing very early I find @Kon

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Kon, I remove these from my garden! :)

When I first got into gardening I thought these were wonderful spring flowering bulbs so divided and replanted them across the garden. However, they are very invasive and multiply very quickly popping up here, there and everywhere. They spoil other plantings. Took me several years to eradicate them

Depends what you want in your raised beds Kon but I would not replant them .......prob a marmite plant; some love them and others don’t :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Kon

Kon Gardener

Ratings:
          +39
          Thanks everyone!

• Friendly Friendly x 1