1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Incredible - I popped into a couple of garden centres this week and both were setting up their Spring flowering bulb displays/stands. Surely people aren't buying bulbs already, it's still Summer!

This lead me on to thinking, when do others buy their bulbs? You could get them now, but how do you store them so they are still viable for planting in October. Or wait until October before buying them...but then your choice is limited as they will have sold out of much of their stock and I am also aware that bulbs can dry out and become useless if left in the shop for too long.

I know you can buy bulbs from online retailers, but I still prefer to do it myself. So what do others do?

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have bought them at this time of year myself-and I think the daffs that I planted earlier than usual did really well. I would buy now and plant out too personally, I can't see the harm.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,911
    I think you buy them now and plant now.

The time for planting bulbs is not october, its any time they are available.

If you were to dig up a daff bulb now, I bet it would have new roots.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    This is interesting. So is the only reason for planting bulbs in October is that borders/flower beds/pots are currently occupied with summer planting?

5. Flighty

Flighty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My horticutural society will be selling them from the beginning of September.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,911

I think the answer must be , Yes:)

7. Rob Jones

Rob Jones Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've cleared a large area of the garden of conifers, 18 in total so I've got a loads of space to fill for next spring so the bulbs I've bought on friday will be in the ground next week. I think they only went on sale on friday at my local garden centre. So for me I got exactly what I want.
    But as Aaron says it seems too early yet for people with that have flowing beds now, unless you're planting them in containers maybe.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for the replies - it seems I was mistaken in thinking bulbs were best planted in October, instead of just plain logistics.

But...what is the best way to store bulbs bought now, for planting a bit later?

9. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,579
    usually don't get my bulb delivery until early October.

10. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes, I know what you mean about your surprise, Sussexgardener.
    I was in the garden centre today - and there were the bulbs.
    But the truth is you can plant them anytime you like.
    Think about it - daffodils are in the ground from one year to another, as well as many other bulbs.
    It really is when do you have space for them, are you waiting for something to come out to make space for them?
    Beyond that, it's plant them when they are available and it suits you.