Bumble Bees Nest Problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by brianstock, Jun 26, 2005.

1. brianstock

brianstock Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hope someone can please give us some advice on the following problem.

We have a small patch of concrete at the bottom right of our modest garden (left over from foundation of old garage floor)

Recently we discovered that bumble bees have made their nest underneath as we can see a great deal of activity during the day with bees appearing and disappearing down a small hole underneath.

Whilst we would not wish to harm the bees we would appreciate any advice on how we can persuade them to leave as we intended to have the concrete removed completely next year to provide more garden space.

Thanks...

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi Brian first of all they don't sting but are the greatest pollinator, I would leave them alone and don't worry.They are welcome by most Gardeners, 3 top insects only, as are Butterflies and Ladybirds....I love the sound of them about, always a sign of sunshine lol...
    The new queen can survive the winter and will probably hibernate there and all the rest will die,that is, if she found enough nectar to get 'fat' lol...to withstand the winter. So make her a nice nest for winter,give her some wool,moss and fine twigs ( or a nice warm blanket lol )
    I see them from Jan. onwards in my greenhouse.
    ---------
    Ladybird

3. sandy

sandy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    bumble bees do sting, even though its just once and only if severely provoked. just ask my sister because when she was young she tried to catch one with her hands.... if it was me then i would be calling the pest guy and try and find a way to move them on.

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    ooh, horrors! No pest guy - please!

Bumble bees are, as Ladybird says, mostly harmless, gentle and of great benefit to the garden. I, too, love to see and hear them about in the foxgloves and lavender.

Ring a local wildlife centre or expert and ask their advice to encourage them to move house instead. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Are you sure they are bumble bees, they are usually quite solitary - however whatever the bee, they are garden friendly souls. You should have bee keepers locally (in addition to your local wildlife trust), and they can advise you a) what kind of bee it is, b) when and what to do about them with the least amount of loss.

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
  7. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm with Ladybird here (although they do sting if frightened), they are probably honey bees, are they small dull yellow? They die off in winter so as LB says you can dig the concrete then and move the queen if she's still on her throne [​IMG]