Bungalow windows

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Oct 3, 2010.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    If I ever move I would like a small bungalow, but here is the question, how could I have my windows open, particularly my bedroom window at night and still feel safe??:cnfs: I have often wondered this!!

Val

2. Mr zen

Mr zen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Move some where nice or get a big dog?

Or do as the spanish do and have some iron gate style bars made to go on the inside? They can look quite nice when done well I think.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Val how about top opening vents that are too small for a person to gain entry, and that can be locked in a half open position.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    John's idea is a good one. Or have very small opening windows so you can still open them. I know what you mean though, I have lived in ground floor apartments in the past and worried about leaving windows open.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,358
    Most windows these days have vents fitted, in the top rail of the sash its a local authority requirement I believe in new build.

But even on older windows you can usually fit restrictors, they tend to be used mainly on upper floors where there is a possibility of falling out the window, but it usually easy enought to fit them as an after thought.

Or as John says, an open fanlight and locks on lower sashes.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Its easy enough to fit metal glazing bars, I do it quite regularly for clients, but you have to think about means of escape, should there be a fire.

7. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    I already own 3 dogs!! I like the idea of the bars though, maybe have those and the locks which the others suggested. :gnthb:

Val

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,905
    I am not being smug but I am so pleased I moved to Portugal in 2001 whereas I not only have my windows open all night long (full size windows not these top vent things) in all rooms (and it's a one storey building, ie, a bungalow) but the cars are not locked (and the convertible has its roof down most of the summer) and heaven forbid we often have the back door (same side of the house as the front door) unlocked sometimes with the keys on the outside .... and certainly open after we have gone to bed if the cats have not all come in through the cat flap in the screen.

:yho::ntwrth:

9. Mr zen

Mr zen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't need to move to Portugal for that. I live in Dorset and its like that here. I never lock my car or work van. Don't lock the house, Always leave the windows open, don't lock my bike up out side the local shops.

There are still nice areas of Britain. There just becoming smaller and few and far between.

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just don't let them know where you live Mr Zen, there are unscrupulose eyes that look at open forums

11. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    I think the French have the right idea. My FIL's house in the Haute Vienne had shutters on the outside and windows which opened inwards, so that you could leave them open for the night but lock the shutters in place. As a bonus, it was dead easy to clean both sides of the windows.

12. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I live in a single storey cottage. I leave my bedroom window open and have never worried about it. We never lock the sheds. When I go out to the shops I don't lock the door. I've never heard of anyone around here being broken into or stuff taken from sheds. Petty theft and vandalism just doesn't happen. I think it's because everybody knows everybody and culprits would be spotted immediately and people have respect for other people.

13. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,905
    It's basically the same here Clare but we leave the shutters open as we have rigid mosquito/fly screens on the windows.

I agree with you Alice, we are only five houses down our lane albeit spread out over acres but it would be obvious if there was a stranger here ... there's only one way in and one way out and it's single track with stone walls either side ....

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,296
    We live in a bungalow and have top windows that open. They allow plenty of air into the rooms. Although we feel safe enough to leave doors and/or windows open when we are not in our insurance would be nullified if we did leave anything open and got broken into. There's no point in paying for insurance and not following the conditions in it.

15. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gemini - I moved into my bungalow 10 years ago feeling exactly as you are.

The windows had to be replaced as they were falling out and I replaced them with windows that only have top openers. I still felt somewhat vulnerable and 'exposed' for the first year or two - kept my windows open it wasn't that it was purely being on the ground floor.

For the past few years I have been regretting not being able to open bigger windows - at least some of the time.

Like many things - you adapt and get used to what you have.