Burning cut brambles

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Amasis, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Amasis

Amasis Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

How long should I leave cut brambles to dry out before I can burn them? They're lying out in the sun and I've stomped all over them to help them dry out. They're well established with a lot of thick stems and runners. I've a garden to completely clear and have to burn what I can - the brown bins are swamped. Fortunately I live in a little village and the neighbours don't object to reasonable bonfires, for which I'm very grateful.

TIA.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Theyll burn as soon as the leaves go brittle, two or three days of hot weather, a pitch fork will be handy to load the fire with as they burn really fiercly.

Be carefull to wet/ rake back the area around the fire so it doesnt spread.

3. Amasis

Ratings:
    +1
    Good news, thanks, Pro Gard. Thank you for the safety advice, too.

4. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If the fires hot enough they will burn straight from pulling from the ground. My burning bin was that hot last time it just ate up a small willow tree (6" trunk) that i pulled up an hour before burning.

5. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is hot enough...just:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know where there are a LOT more brambles in need of cutting down and disposing of, BUT, despite being responsible Adults and Safety Trained & Certificated, the group cutting them down are NOT allowed to dispose of them any other way than rotting.

7. Amasis

Ratings:
    +1
    Kev, your bin looks like it's about to launch. :lollol:

I looked at the space I have available for burning and decided burning anything in the open is too much of a risk. The bin will arrive on Tuesday. I should have a lot more brambles cut by then!