1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Burning wood.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Anthony, May 18, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've been doing some heavy pruning of woody shrubs and will shortly be cutting down a cherry blossom (I think that's what it is) that is isn't in the best of places in my back garden.

I'm planning on having a bonfire. I'll eventually end up with a pile of ash and wanted to know if the ash will be of any use to me in the garden?

Ant.

2. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the link and such a great read.

Best of luck with the allotment and continue to post lots of great pictures.

Ant.

4. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wood ash contains potassium, so it is useful as a fertiliser. It is also alkaline, so maybe not so good on acid-loving plants. When I have any, I sprinkle it around growing plants. Potassium salts are soluble (yes I'm a chemist) so collect the ash before it gets rained on, and I think if you put it on the compost heap it will get washed away and wasted.
    I use ash from the barbecue in this way if I've been burning charcoal. I wouldn't do it with ash from the briquettes. I think they have coal, or coke, in them, and the ash might contain heavy metals