Bushes and plants need rescuing

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Daniel Andrew, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Daniel Andrew

Daniel Andrew Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all, new to the forum and looking for advice. One of my hebes is not looking great. How can I rescue it? I found they grew outward and not upward, which left them looking gappy. I tied them up but it looks worse over winter. Currently trying plant feed once a week.

Also have some laurels that look a bit diseased. Any products or strategies I could try to improve how they look. Would post pics but too big to upload. Thanks in advance.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Yes a photo would help, have you tried changing the Size setting on your Camera /Phone so it uses less space /pixels.
    Another way is to Resize your existing photo in some of the common photo programs like Windows Photos, just select the imagege and Right Click on it to get this -

The pic shown is already at S .
    000116.jpg

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,318
    If you have pictures on your computer you can go to 'Edit' to resize them by right clicking on the picture in question.

Stop feeding the Hebes Daniel that will make them worse. Are they young plants? It will help to know and give you advice.

4. Daniel Andrew

Ratings:
    +7
    Hebes are approx 2 years old, 3 perhaps. One has grown really well, the other not so well. I have resized the images, let's try.

Attached Files:

5. Daniel Andrew

Ratings:
    +7
    Other info - soil is very clay like but I prepped it as per the instuctions at the garden shop. I didn't realise when I bought the hebes that the bed is in the shade.

6. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,318
    Thanks for the images. Do you know what type of Hebe's they are? It looks to me as if they are low growers which is possibly why they've spread and not grown upwards. Shade isn't usually too much of a problem for this plant.

7. Daniel Andrew

Ratings:
    +7
    Ooh, can't remember. Leaves are thin and purple if it helps. Any strategies for improving how it looks?

8. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,318
    Hebe's are pretty tough so there's no reason why you couldn't prune some of the stems out to tidy it up and may be shorten others.

Sorry, I can't help you with the Laurel I have no experience of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Daniel Andrew

Ratings:
      +7
      So you think stop feeding the hebes and prune it a bit? Is there a correct way to prune, or is it as straight forward as I think? I don't have a good track record with gardening, things tend to die after I cut them back, lol.

I have another hebe next to it (not pictured) that is doing really well. Very wide so it is odd this one is struggling?

Is there a more relevant part of the forum I can post about the laurel?

Thanks

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      Welcome to the forum, as what sheal says about the Hebe, but what you can do later on this year is apply a 0-10-10 NPK feed, this no nitrogen feed is used by bonsai growers, and indeed horticultural growers, it strengthens up the roots and the stems of the plant, and stops the plant from becoming weak, and falling over. If you cannot find it locally, most bonsai stockist supply it, the most popular being Chempak 0-10-10, that comes in a red bottle.
      The Laurel is a fungal spot infection, which should clear up now the dryer weather is here, but if it gets worse or you are worried about it, apply a copper mixture drench, then a week later apply a feed or epsom salts.

• Daniel Andrew

Ratings:
      +7
      OK, thanks. I'm a bit reluctant to prune the hebe to be honest, as it is much smaller than the other already. Perhaps just cut the crappy bits out? Out of curiosity why later in the year for the NPK feed? I'm keen to help it out!

With the laurel it has been like this 2-3 years. I did have a spray which was supposed to treat fungus but it never worked. On the under side of the leaves is a white powdery substance.

Thanks.

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      If you want to get rid of a fungal infection, use a drench application, so the chemical travels throughout the plant via the root system, spraying applications, unless you have a proper atomiser, you will miss parts of the plant that are infected.
      The no nitrogen feed later in the year hardens the stems, which stops them from becoming weak and falling over, its used in Bonsai to harden trees up for winter.
      Dont worry about prunning the Hebe, it will rebound.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,318
      Hebe's are tough so you can prune it how you like, don't hack it off at the base though. :biggrin:

• Daniel Andrew

Ratings:
      +7
      As in the very bottom of the plant? Or do you mean the bottom of a branch? I do find my big one grows into my other plants so I've been pruning at the base of the branch to avoid stumpybits.

• Daniel Andrew

Ratings:
      +7
      What do you recommend for copper drench? I had a quick look on ebay but found all sorts that wasn't correct!