1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Business Start Up Queries

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Happy Gardener 1, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Happy Gardener 1

Happy Gardener 1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Is your gardening business classified as running a business from home?

Just because you do invoices/emails and store tools there, surely that is still not the case, as revenue is made outside, even if the address for your business is your home address?

Thanks

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,496
    Welcome to GC. :dbgrtmb:

Simple answer - No, but you should have an accountant that advises you.

Under normal circumstances, as self-employed, you are entitled to use part of your home as your office without your home being considered a business. That's whether self-employed or a Limited company. It will not affect the status of your home.

You are also entitled to claim a small amount of household expenses as business expenses but in your circumstances that would only be a small part - probably no more than 5%. I underlined part of your home. If you use a room solely for doing your office work or storing tools then you may fall foul of council tax rules and, eventually, capital gains tax. So you do your office work in a room that is used for something else as well and store your business equipment in a shed that also has your domestic gardening equipment etc. ;) :whistle:

I can't emphasise enough that you should have an accountant. They will tell you how they would like you to run your business side and, nowadays, are likely to give you/recommend an app for you to use for record keeping. If they do give you the app then it should save you a lot of hassle and reduce the account's fees.

Good luck :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Happy Gardener 1

Happy Gardener 1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      Thank you for that info, it means a lot. Its one thing doing the job, but another knowing the ins and outs of a business. I will contact an accountant as I'd like to save where I can.

Cheers

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,496
      If any of your friends are self-employed then ask them what their accountants are like and how much they charge.

You can do your accounts yourself but it gets more complicated each year and the tax man tends to get more suspicious of people that do it themselves.

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,578
      If your storing tools and equipment specifically for your business at home then your unlikely to be covered under your home insurance.

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,374
      I was self employed for over 25years ( not garden related) .Agree with @shiney ..get an accountant! I did my own for years, have to say no suspicion was detected :blue thumb: but I was amazed at all the expenses I had overlooked and yet I had thought I was on the ball.

My husband and I also ran another company from home too but that entailed more accounting/ book keeping, registering with Companies House ( as a Sole Trader you won't need too) and he dealt with that.

Do you homework and start off correctly so you don't get in a pickle later down the line, there's lots of advice out there. :dbgrtmb:

Good luck. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,204
        As said, you are running a business From home as its the registered address of your business.

For your Tools and Equipment you need to insure them for business use, there are insurers who deal with small businesses, as you will also need Public Liability and any other Insurance deemed necessary for your type of work, again a good insurer can advise, eg cutting down trees might need extra cover.

As highlighted on some of the Police tv programs, take care when using your mowers etc as theives will pounce on them if left unattended for even the shortest time, same with your van.

For Accountants, well if you are making a big turnover fine, but you can find qualified Bookkeepers who will do as good a job for a lot less money.
        That said for a smallish turnover with no employess, doing your own self assesment is doable if thats your thing.
        Whatever you decide, keep all your receipts for anything purchased in connection with the business.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,945
          If using your car for work, make sure it insured for business and PLG and check your car tax as well

As lots of people are using cars which are PLG road tax for deliving goods and are geting stopped by police and fined

• Agree Agree x 1
            Last edited: Mar 12, 2022