1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Busy Lizzies and Geraniums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fimonkey, Sep 7, 2005.

1. fimonkey

fimonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grew these from seed this year and they're out in my garden in pots. Do I need to bring them in for the winter? If not what will happen and will they come back next year? I know geraniums seem to 'die' then come back, it it the same with busy lizzies? (are they perenials?).

When should I bring them in and what care do they need during the winter, will they continue to flower?

Excuse my basic and stupid questions, I did say earlier I was a complete novice! But hey we've all gotta start somewhere!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Fi

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] The first frosts uaually get them. You can try trimming them back & overwintering the geraniums indoors & yes they probably will carry on flowering for a while but as the days get shorter they know its time for rest. You usually cut the water back to just moist & let them rest. then re-pot in the spring feed & ready for another summer. The bizzie lizzy is up to you if you want to bring it in. These plants will need light so window sills best places. Otherwise they are in such abundence as plants in spring, why not plant the pots up with winter flowering stuff instead?? [​IMG]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Marley's spot on - to her advise I would add. Geraniums overwintered indoors biggest enemy is overwatering - so cut them back by 2/3s, put them on a sunny window sill where you don't go very often :D

You can of course take cuttings from both to grow on indoors for next year.

4. alan

alan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    try taking some cuttings off your geraniums to increase your plants on the cheap.nows the time i do mine easy and rewarding when you see all the newplants

5. fimonkey

fimonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers all, so should I just let the busy lizzies die off then? (That would be sad, I grew them from seed and am so proud of them!)

What 'winter flowerers' would I plant in my planters instead and would these need to be indoors or could they be outdoors?

Many thanks once again.

Fi

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] For outdoor planters you can use polyanthus, primroses, pansies, violas (small pansies) & there are lots of bulbs, snowdrops, daffodils small & large, tulips small & large & Hyacinths to name but a few. For greenery there is hedera ivys or euonymous. I'm sure you will get more sugestions. [​IMG]

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I know the feeling of when you grow a plant from seed - there is nothing to stop you taking cuttings from your busy lizzies for next year. The root easily in just water and can then be potted up, and you can overwinter them indoors for planting after the frosts next yar.

8. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    I live in West Canford Heath, My neighbour has in her garden some outstanding Geraniums, when I remarked on the size of them, she told me that they had been (outside) from last year she had just trimmed them back and left them, we do have small sheltered gardens over this side altho gets a bit breezy. [​IMG]

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Geraniums will indeed overwinter outside - but they need to be protected- close a house wall will do preferrably south facing - more particularly from the wet - or they will rot :( .

10. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My bulbs rot even in pots. Would putting in extra grit help. Also what's best to put in the base of the pots for drainage.The front of the house gets the winter sun.would it be better to stand my pots of bulbs there and plant on top some winter pansies? After last years disaster(not one bulb flowered) i was giving up.But this gardening bug won't let you.

11. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry everyone, forgot the topic was bizzie lizzies etc-
    Getting rather bogged down with my bulb problem.