1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Butter Beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ricky101, Sep 7, 2021.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Have been asked if I know what are Butter Beans and can we buy and grow them here in England ?

Looking on the Web seems they are also known as Lima Beans and they say grow best in warm climates, but also that when raw they can be poisonous as they contain some form of cyanide.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,359
    Isn't the same true of red beans, too? I'm sure I read that they have to be cooked, rinsed, cooked again and the water discarded. They're both dried seeds so perhaps the warm climate bit is so they have a long season to ripen?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,975
      Red kidney beans do contain poison and need to be boiled for a while to get rid of it.
      I usually buy tinned ones that have already gone through the process are are pretty much cooked anyway.

We used to have butter beans when I was a kid and they were dried ones, but I dont remember them ever being anything other than just boiled until soft.

I reckon you could grow the dried ones from a supermarket, unless of course they part cook them and then dry them.:scratch:

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,359
        • Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,484
          I'm sure you can find a supplier somewhere and they can be grown here.

It's much easier to buy them tinned and a bit more difficult if you buy them dried.

Most dried beans contain Phytohemagglutinin (PHA), which is poisonous, and this has been removed when having been sold in cans. To cook dried beans better and remove the PHA it is better to soak them first (usually from 3 hours to 8 hours but the normal thing is to do it overnight). Then boil them until the texture is as you prefer. Some people bring them to the boil, let them boil for 10 minutes or so and then rinse and boil in fresh water.

Other people say put some bicarb in towards the end of the boiling process but that is only useful if you want to have them mushy - as you should do with chickpeas for making hummus.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
            Ratings:
            +2,381
            We always have several tins of butter beans in the cupboard.
            They are relatively cheap so i haven't tried growing them. They are a good addition to stews and curries etc.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1