1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Butternut squash only male flowers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Aidan mc, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Aidan mc

Aidan mc Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    I have a couple of butternut squash plants, seem to be growing well but only producing male flowers. Seeds were from last year.
    Why would this be?
    Have a couple of Urchi Kuri also and they are beginning to produce fruits.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,328
    Tends to be down to the maturity of the plants and growing conditions, keep watering and feeding and they should come good. Sometimes if they get a lot of fruit developing they will revert to mainly/all male flowers.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I've not grown these but have grown other members of the same family, pumpkins etc. and they all seem to take at least a while before they start to produce female flowers, length of time varies but pumpkins can take a while.
    I think this is why you need an early start as these often need a longer growing season than we normally get in the UK.

I think you still have time but it's running out fast.

4. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +892
    Might consider pruning this a bit, might panic it to reproduce. Leave enough to sustain the (hopefully) embryonic fruit.Would continue to water but not feed. If it sets many fruit, restrict to 3 or 4.
    Regarding time to mature, we will have to see; guess we are due a swing in the Jetstream to high pressure but one can only hope/pray! Perhaps if it was ignored, climate would revert to 'normal'.

5. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    It sounds to me as if the fruit developed, but not fully. Hence the small seed cavity, and immature/deformed seeds. Probably because the fruit continued to develop after the normal growing season, and into our strange mild late autumn.
    Our squash plants grew extra fruit, after I thought it should have stopped. I have yet so see what they are like insideā€¦

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,976
      If the seed are not fully developed it suggests the fruit were not fully ripe or poor pollination, IMO.

• Adam I

Adam I Gardener

Hijinks
      Ratings:
      +121
      Looks great. Butternuts are one of the yummiest squashes, I use them for pompkin pie. Boil them till mushy, then add a bit of allspice, nutmeg, black pepper, salt and brown sugar. Add egg yolks, slap in your favourite pie crust and bake. Gorgeous.