Butternut squash - what to do with under ripe ones (etc)?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Engelbert, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi again

Following on from my "Is this a butternut squash plant?!?" thread, I now have a couple of questions about my ACTUAL butternut squashes :)

As I mentioned in the other thread, I am going away on Friday for a week and wondering whether I need to harvest these before I go.

Also, from what my very inexperienced eyes tell me, some of them are under ripe. If that is indeed the case, is there anything I can do to help mature them? Are they still edible when eaten under ripe?

Here are a few pics. The last one is of the ripest one we have and I think that looks good to go. The others are less ripe and also quite small (around fist sized).

Many thanks

Max

IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0899.JPG

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,297
    When we clear the plants at the end of the season (or earlier) any that are still showing a hint of green are eaten raw, by Mrs Shiney, very thinly sliced (skin on because it's still very soft) on her salad or as an accompaniment. Not a lot of flavour at that stage but she likes it.

Others are left to ripen on a sunny windowsill.