Buy 1 Get 1 Free - Spear & Jackson Selected Carbon Steel Garden Tools @ Homebase

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by DaveMK, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DaveMK

DaveMK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I need a new digging fork, ideally a border one too, and was researching to find one that should last when my daughter came across a "buy one get one free" from Homebase. She thought the offer ended tonight but as I can't see that it does I thought someone might be able to benefit.
    The offer actually covers the following:-

Select Carbon Hand Trowel
    Select Carbon Weed Fork
    Select Carbon Soil Rake
    Select Carbon Flexo Rake
    Select Carbon Dutch Hoe
    Select Carbon Edging Knife
    Select Carbon Digging Spade
    Select Carbon Digging Fork

Not the best in class I was really wanting, but 2 for £20 will do for me.

I'd been reading advice in the forums, and was swaying towards a Bulldog, and I just found it really strange that I seemed to recall many years ago Bulldog was one of the cheaper brands while the Spear and Jackson & Wilkinson Sword were desirable. I may be mixing Bulldog up with someone else, and it would be no surprise to find the most popular brands cutting corners in quality to reduce costs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +20,947
      Bulldog were a leading brand and I would recommend them having used them for years.
      For any spade/fork I would; say see it, handle it. Check for length and weight, examine the working end to see how it's made: is the head welded to the socket? are the tines welded on? is it stamped or forged? attachment of handle to socket?
      Think about what you want to use it for and how much you are going to use it.
      Powder coating soon wears off with use and regular use keeps the blade rust free.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • DaveMK

DaveMK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +6
        Thanks Nigel. Many of the helpful posts I'd read were yours as it happens. I had been leaning towards Bulldog, and looking at the vast array of forks they offer. If I were 30 years younger with many years ahead of me I would have ploughed through the options and possibly gone for a mid to higher priced digging fork in the £30+ range, multiplied by two if I'd got a border one too. In my mid-70s however it made sense to me to economise if there was a bargain to be had; I'm lucky that all the large DIY chains and garden centres have stores in my area, so just as I did Click and Collect a week ago for good-priced compost at Wickes, so I did C & C at Homebase for the two forks for £20. Paid online last night; picked them up this morning. It's actually a huge benefit having heavy stuff like compost already packed onto a trolley by the young lads at Wickes leaving me to easily dump the bags into my boot.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +20,947
          Glad to hear you got them alright and I hope you get many years good use from them.
          The problem I have is the young lads aren't there to help with the unloading and you could get into all sorts of trouble inviting them home to help you.