1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy and sell a car , all the scams

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sal73, Dec 18, 2014.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    For about 2 Months I was trying to buy a Van , with no much luck
    no because I couldn`t find one but simple because was full a scammer
    been through 7 scammist before find a decent person who was genuinely sell the Van
    I`m always carefull online in give my detail to stranger .
    But in the end I got the Van I wanted and when I though that everythink was clear the problem start when I got the sell the car ....what can ever go wrong?

At first you got loads of people asking for your phone number because they want to call you
    so you give your number and what you got back it`s some insurance , ppi and accident claim company , passed all that you got the genuine idiots , that they want to offer you 1/4 of what you adverticing , some other that want to swap you car for them car , someone who want to give you a stolen I-PHONE worth £620 , for a BMW , and what you think that finally you`ve faund a genuine person who want to give the money you`ve asked for , it`s just a scammist fron Nigeria ,,,,,, ps not to talk about that famous website we.... buy any cars .....they want to give you 20% of the value of the , ovviously minus the administration fee and collection fee ...
    just for fun try one of them site ;) ... on one of them they offered me £0 plus I had to pay for collection

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,046
      I hate selling cars, you do get a lot of tyre kickers who waste your time, then the worry of going for a test drive with them, you never know what sort of driver they are. Earlier this year I sold my wifes car through ebay and it wasn't too bad. I used an old mobile with a cheap sim card so I don't have to give out my main mobile phone number. Also you get all the other sales people ringing and want you to advertise with them so once the car was sold I switched off that old mobile and haven't used it since.

I got a (laughable) price from webuyanycars but that is the maximum, you have to expect a lot less when you actually take it to them. I heard other people's stories that when you take the car for them to see, they knock off loads for every little scratch and dent.

• Like Like x 1
      • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,951
        When I sold my Honda I used these people, I was moving house and I needed to sell it quick, the whole experience was very simple and easy, they even came and picked the car up. They won't accept anything over 5 years old though and you will get offered a lower price than what it is worth.
        http://www.bestcarbuyer.co.uk/

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,046
        That link isn't working @Val..

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,951
        @JWK It works fine for me?? :scratch:

• NorthantsGeezer

NorthantsGeezer Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,621
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,046
        Sorry @Val.. it is working OK now, must have been my end, we are having a few internet glitches here.

Just tried it, their valuation was £100 less than webuyanycars.com - so probably about right.

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,389
        I bought my car from a Nigerian car dealer, which ticked all the boxes in terms of scammy attitude. But it was my first car and I just liked the look of it and the cosy interior.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,629
          Are we not all becoming just a little bit internet crazy.
          Some things I buy on the net, but a car, no way.
          Never ever touched the likes of Exchange and Mart before the internet.

• Like Like x 1
          • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,998
            Pete , unfortunatly there are restrictions in some areas , as I moved from my old address where i live now it`s forbidden to stick the good old sign on the car window , don`t ask me but I saw many cars with fines and my friend who sell cars told me the same.

The story goes on , I had enough of convassers and idiots so what i did , I`d advertice on a local polish site , a friend from work gave it to me , the strange thing was the first reply i had was a foreigner but was writing all in english wich it was strange , as my polish friend told me that only polish where using that site , and when i say that i mean peoples who don`t speak english .

this guy start to asking me loads of question about the car so I though it may be a genuine person , .........WRONG........... he come up with the story that he was english and working in Poland , that was all strange as I could see that his english wasn`t any better them mine and that his was buying a car for his dad , so he come up with I`ll pay you the car now and I will come back to UK and collect the car at boxing day , send me the invoice through pay pal and no one will lose anything as he told me that is full of scammist on the net and also to add the extra 3% as administration fee that pay pal charge on transaction like this .... how good it sound?????

so what i did i send an email to him telling that the pay pal invoice was just sent , I wrote the ammount and everything and ask him if he`d received , (but never sent one) so what i got back was an email (fake) from pay pal telling me that by mistake the person have send me an extra £800 and the money will be frozen for the next 3 weeks , untill things where sorted ..unless i was willing to pay the extra money in his Ucash account wich usually are untraceable or for people resident in differ country .

So after all I just decided to see how much it would have cost me to insure a car and start with no claim years , as i moved all my 11 years of no claim on the new car , just to find out the greater joke ever ...... basicly be a good driver only save me £100 a year and to start from zero year no claim would only cost me £100 more .... what a Joke

• Useful Useful x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,310
              I suppose it depends how you do it.

I wanted to buy a new car and to sell mine privately.

Buying new cars is definitely less of a worry. As I already knew what I wanted I phoned my local main dealer and asked for his best price and told him that I would be shopping around. He said he would give me a price but to get back to him if someone offered it for less. So I told him he only gets one bite at the cherry and I want his best price now!

I then phoned other main dealers in the area and got their prices. Then I went on the internet. :blue thumb:

I found a main dealer (through a third party site) 250 miles away that was offering a much better deal. Having shown my interest on the site they got the dealer to call me. After a lot of negotiating over the phone they came up with a price that was over £3,000 cheaper than any other offer. :hate-shocked:

Being wary of it turning out as a scam I phoned the manufacturers and checked that it was an authorised dealer, the phone number was correct and that the man worked at the dealership. Then I made a call to their Trading Standards to check if they had been notified of any scams.

Having cleared all that, I decided to go ahead but pay by credit card as it would give me Section 75 protection (to a certain extent). The dealers said that they would prefer a money order but if I insisted on using a credit card they would have to charge me extra. I didn't mind that as my credit card gives me cashback. :dbgrtmb:

Still being cautious, I phoned the credit card company and told them what I was doing and asked them to monitor the transaction, which they said they would do. Everything went fine and they delivered the car to me by one of their retired staff driving it down. They paid him £200 to do the job and he had to go back by train.

Selling my ten year old car was a bit more tricky. I advertised it as a cash sale but got a few people coming along who wanted to pay by cheque :nonofinger:. The first person to offer cash said he wanted it and would like to test drive it. I said that he couldn't test drive it as he wouldn't be insured to do so, but I would take him out and put the car through any test he wanted (heavy accelerating, heavy breaking, fast cornering etc.).

He told me he was a mechanic but wanted the car for himself and wanted to buy it right away. I agreed but told him he couldn't drive it away as he didn't have insurance but I'd be happy to deliver it to him immediately. I said to him that we could sign the sale agreement now but he could pay me when we get to his house and I'd sign over the log book. So there was a procession of three cars :). Him in front, me following and Mrs Shiney behind so that she could bring me back. I got £1,000 more than any website offered me. :blue thumb: (Main dealers weren't interested in my car.)

Total discount on new car was 21%. There was a good commercial reason for it. :thumbsup:

So using the internet can be useful but you need to be prepared to be cautious.

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1