Buying a Camellia as a present for late May

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, May 8, 2021.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,559
    Hi,
    a bit of an odd one- I'd like to buy a Camellia as a present to a person who loves them but doesn't have one. The big day is near end of May, and I must buy online.

What are the chances of getting a plant in bloom, and what variety would you recommend please? Any online retailers you can recommend?

Her preference is dark pink or red, my preference is anything where the flowers don't turn into porridge when they fade making the plant look less lush.

It doesn't matter if the plant is not in flower but it would be very nice if it were :)

Thanks!

2. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +43,788
    You could try Sutton's seeds and plants or Dobies seeds and plants they're almost the same as each other They have a selection of them with different despatch dates.

• Like Like x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,371
      I am not much help with Camellias I not sure which varieties don't turn to mush they all seem to do :noidea: . I am not to much help with suppliers ethier I've never looked for one online but Burncoose probably have some , also have a look at Mclaren plants. and Signature shrubs they are helpful and may have one out of stock available if you ask .

You'll have to be quick though order as soon as you can , they is a lot of demand again this year for plants so delayed delivers.

• Like Like x 1
      • luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
        Ratings:
        +125
        At this very late date in May, only late blooming camellia japonicas will -maybe- still have blooms. If you are going to order via mail order (online), I would call by phone (instead of dealing with online systems) so you can stress to the person taking the order that you want to get a plant in bloom and that you need someone to call you back and tell you what is available in bloom before you place the order.

Note: A complicating factor.... if this person will end up placing the camellia in full sun, consider a camellia sansanqua although sasanquas will not be in bloom now. Camellia sasanquas normally bloom early in the Fall and their foliage can tolerate full sun much better than the other camellia varieties (these need morning sun only).

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,365
          • Informative Informative x 1