1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Peter K, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
    +126
    Yesterday, after taking a car for a test drive I decided to buy it. I paid a deposit and the garage then reeled off a list of additional costs which were on top of the purchase price for the car - admin fee £99, Diamond Bright £349, Fuel £20 and 36 months warranty £999. As I haven’t bought a car for a number of years, I wasn’t expecting these additional costs.

I understand the admin fee and fuel are standard and I won’t bother with the Diamond Bright however, the garage were really pushing this Gold Automation Warranty at £999 for three years. Are they just plugging it for their commission or is it really worth buying this warranty? The car is a 5 year old Mini.

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,451
    No, no and again no.

The admin fee alone would be sufficient to make me walk away. They are car dealers, they sell cars - it is what they do, there should not an admin fee for them to sell you a car. Do you pay a £20 admin fee when you buy a new telly? This nonsense is something being done mostly by car supermarkets (Car Giant, Imperial Cars etc) and is simply there to boost their profits - - and the warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

If the seller is willing to shaft you at purchase stage, what are they going to be like when the car develops a fault? I had bitter experience of this with a VW Passat from Car Shop years ago - only had the car just over three months when it dumped me at the side of the road due to injector failure, and Car Shop tried to wriggle like hell that it was not covered under their 'gold' warranty; in the end, VW themselves came good for the cost as it was a design fault, so they got away with it, but the fact remains that they will try to wriggle out of any claim. There are warranty companies that will sell you a warranty post-purchase if you really want the peace of mind, but personally I wouldn't bother.

Get your deposit back and walk away - - - in fact, run away. Then go to a different dealer, preferably a smallish independent one, and you will be able to get a better deal for the longer run.

Also, if you are certain that it is a Mini you want, I would suggest joining a Mini forum and asking if there are any known good dealers near you, any stock faults with the car that you need to look out for, and if there are any models to avoid.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,222
      I agree with FC. Ask for your deposit back. If they try to argue then say that you weren't advised of the admin cost or the other costs when agreeing the sale. As FC says, trying to charge you an admin fee for doing the job they're supposed to is simply a con. If they try to get stroppy about it say you will be going to Trading Standards about it. I don't know how you paid for the deposit but you should cancel it. If it was a cheque you should talk to your bank as they don't like cancelling cheques but you just tell them you were mis-sold and it was only yesterday. If a credit card just tell the card company what happened, again say it was mis-sold. If a debit card then say the same thing and if they aren't keen to do it then say you would like a 'chargeback' on it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
        Ratings:
        +2,369
        When we changed the car 4 years ago the garage knew our budget and we agreed on a deal that was within budget. We returned to the garage to pay the deposit and the price had gone up by over £1000. The salesperson told us that it was because the new car was on a 3 month waiting list and our p/x would have devalued in this time. They had also added extra nonsense costs. All costs and valuations that they knew at the time of agreeing the first price.

Needless to say we walked away and went to a dealer for a different car and agreed a deal.

If a garage will rip you off before they have your money, they wont improve once they've sold the car. Take the deposit and run

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,435
          Get your money back & run as fast as you can! They are just ripping you off.

‘Diamond Bright’ this is the wonderful polish/protector which they charge the earth for which is total & utter cr@p!l? I have a family member who works at a prestigious car dealership, he is always moaning about the polish not being put on properly & how one bottle of top polish is never put on a car because it takes too long! Don’t ever fall for that sales pitch, this is a scam which car dealers have been getting away with for years :mad:.

I actually refuse to change my car (Vauxhall’s Astra, 07 plate, 150,000 miles on the clock :yikes:) mainly because I cannot put up with the cow pat I have to listen to from car sales men! I bought my car when it was 6 months old & im still trying to forget the experience of dealing with drive Vauxhall! Kev keeps telling me it’s going to need updating soon & I keep changing the subject! :whistle:.

I hope you manage to get your deposit back @Peter K & find a car elsewhere x

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Tell 'em to stick it! If they cannot swallow the "admin fee" alone then they're no good. On a new car I might be tempted by the Diamond Brite at about a third of the price quoted but not on a five year old car as it can amplify any paint imperfections.
            But if you are looking at five year old Minis (especially diesel ones) get the best warranty that you can afford that covers just about everything.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,222
              I think that my interpretation (I may be wrong) of what @longk is saying is, don't buy a five year old diesel Mini.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,222
                I bought a new car last year. We did the deal, after a lot of negotiation, and a price for PX. It took nine months for the car to be delivered but the original price was what I paid and the original PX price was what I got. The new car had risen by £1,500 during that nine months but I didn't have to pay any more.

• Like Like x 3
                • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,369
                  That's what you'd expect from a decent dealer.

This salesperson was amazing. After putting the price up, he then came out with the line "well I've moved on our price, its up to you to move on yours". What he seemed to fail to grasp was that by increasing the price of the car, he'd moved in the wrong direction for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
                    +126
                    What's wrong with a 5 year old Mini? Not everybody can afford a brand new car.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +118,222
                      Over the years, we've had Minis and they always started giving trouble around that age, but I'm not the one to really make a definitive assessment of them. :noidea: @longk is actually in the car business so I'll pass the buck to him. :)

Regardless of that, I'd be very wary of a dealer that wants to charge for admin and also doesn't tell you up front about any extras. I wish you all the best with buying a car.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +8,261
                        Andrew, tell the dealer to swivel :rasp:

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +23,089
                        To be fair I would say the same of any five year old car, especially a diesel (unless it is used mostly for fast cross country or motorway work). Modern cars are built to have an eight to ten year life expectancy and even run of the mill faults can be very expensive.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,369
                          Lets just say that when he called to check on where we were with the purchase that we let him know that the way to close a deal is to stick to the agreed price or offer a reduced price - not to raise the price. Seemed a very arrogant way of operating to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +4,198
                            Have you been back to the dealer and challenged them about the Admin Fee etc ?

Are they a full Mini dealer or just a general car sales.

Assume the car has a main dealer service record book ?

You can buy a third party warranty anytime not just on purchase eg Warranty Wise etc.

• Like Like x 2