Buying a greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Gardencat994, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Gardencat994

Gardencat994 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to purchase a greenhouse and wondered if anyone could help? I will be a first time green house owner so all help is gratefully accepted!

I have one spot in my garden where a green house can go and from previous photos of the house I can see that two were sited there originally.

The space runs between the house and the garden wall. It is approximately 6.5 m x 3m The wall runs North to South with the wall being sited on the east side. Firstly I would like to know if this is a suitable spot. It does get the sun during the day from mid morning until afternoon ( house is a bungalow).

Does anyone have any advice and any recommendations on greenhouse suppliers?
    Thank you

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,950
    How big a greenhouse do you want?
    A photo of the proposed site would help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
      +650
      Agree with Nigel, a photo would be good. I have, like Nigel I think a Rhino greenhouse from Greenhouses Direct. Mine is 20ft x 8ft and still not big enough.I would therefore suggest you buy the biggest greenhouse the site and budget will allow for. Somehow, however big a greenhouse you buy it is never big enough! Personally I was glad to be advised not to go wider than 8ft as I am not an Orangutan:).I have had my greenhouse for about 7 years, it is in an exposed spot but has stood up to everything it has had hurled at it. The head room is very good unlike some other makes of greenhouse so you do not feel cramped when working in it. I would buy another of the same make again if required.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Gardencat994

Gardencat994 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Would like to get as big as possible, my main worry is if it will get enough sunlight to warrant getting one? I have also seen that it is recommended that they run east to west? The path is not included in the measurement and I have slightly underestimated the size plot. Thank you for your replies.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
        • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
          +650
          You do not say what part of the world you live in which has a bearing on where best to site a greenhouse.Presume Britain but climate varies considerably altho we up in Scotland would appear for once to have had a better summer than our neighbours down south.
          I live in Scotland and my greenhouse sits in the open getting the maximum sun available. However, in the south of England there will be people needing to shade theirs during the hottest months. I am no expert on aspect but to me the area looks very good from being sheltered both sides and the wall behind the greenhouse would act as a bit of a night storage heater.The downside maybe is the greenhouse will get not much light the wall side and maybe not a huge amount for the house side. It might be a thought to reduce the size of the trees? behind the area.
          I have always been lucky enough to be able to site greenhouses whereby they got maximum light but lots of people do have them very close to their houses, walls etc.Maybe someone with more experience of that than me will be able to help. Looks like you could squeeze one in my size:). Obviously you would need to site the greenhouse unless small to run parallel to the wall.1 thing definitely to consider is the wind direction and have the door sited on the not so windy side.
          This is what I mean about never having a greenhouse big enough:heehee:.
          AB11786C-5248-48A8-833A-720C5BF7D963.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +20,950
            I have a 12ft*12ft Rhino from Greenhouses Direct, had it 4 years now. I also have an 8*10 Eden greenhouse which I got about 23 years ago. The Rhino came complete with louvres, openers for roof vents, down pipes etc also had plenty of roof vents, I had to get an extra two for the Eden these,the louvres and down pipes were extra.
            Bear in mind you will need access to the side near the wall both for construction and for cleaning.
            If you can afford it I'd go with Rhino as they are very good.
            As @hailbopp says and get the biggest greenhouse you can manage; it will not be big enough.
            I still find myself walking sideways to get too plants both in summer and winter.
            In summer they are full of growing plants and in winter full of things that need a dry winter, or to be kept pretty much frost free.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,184
              Hi,

As that space is 3mts + wide you could fit one , two or even three 8 or 10ft long greenhouses in an East to West orientation to gain maximum sunlight.
              If looking for something wider and longer North to South will be needed, but don't forget most greenhouses have to be shaded during the summer, so doubt lack of light will be a problem for you.

As said above, any of the big name brands including Elite and Halls are good and strong, though at a price new and you may find there is a very long delivery time at the moment with Covid.
              Just avoid the very cheap ones as they cannot take much wind.

Depending on your skills and pockets there are some good second hand bargains to be had on ebay/gumtree/preloved if you want to disassemble and remove.

• Agree Agree x 1