1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a House...(Rant)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doogle, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Doogle

Doogle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Daughter and Husband are buying their first house. They've engaged a Solicitor etc and have just received the "draft contract and supporting papers" (about 50 pages of utter garbage). However, on the covering letter from the Solicitors is:
    [Begin Rant]
    Isn't that what the Soliciters are meant to be doing? Their charges are £160 + VAT per hour and £35 + VAT per letter. I guess if we ask them to clarify it will result in a couple or three letters and at least an hours work
    [End Rant]

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I see why you're mad Doogle - I think Solicitors do so lttle for their money and do it so slowly and so badly.
    But in this case I think it's a standard thing. After all the Solicitor does not know what the seller pointed out to you as the extent of the property. It is up to the buyer to check that what is outlined on the land registry is what the seller said he was selling.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,990
    Don't rely on the solicitors Doogle, when we bought our last house the solicitors somehow forgot part of the garden. It was only when I pointed out to them that it wasn't shown on the plans they realised their mistake. Basically its up to you (or your daughter) as the buyer to make sure its all right. I know what you are saying, but at the end of the day its just easy money for them and if they get it wrong then you will have to pay them again to correct it.