Buying a second hand greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Anzia, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
    +516
    I'm going to be picking up a second hand greenhouse on Friday morning that was advertised on Gumtree quite nearby to me. There were no photos. The description states that it's an 8 x 6 aluminium greenhouse in vgc and that it comes with staging and pots, which seems like a bonus. (I'll disinfect any pots before using them for new plants, obviously.)

I'm not bothered whether it's plastic or glass panels so haven't bothered asking that, but when I go to see it is there anything I should look for that as a newbie I might not be aware of needing to check to make sure it's in a good state? Greenhouses are a new area for me! Thanks lovely people :spinning:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,627
    Check how it dismantles, hopefully it's aluminium bolts which should free up easily (not rusty steel ones that would need cutting off), has it got a metal base?, opening top vent with auto-opener (that works)?, how does the glass come out?, check if there are spares available for that type (i.e. glazing clips/seals)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
      +516
      Thank you John, that's very helpful. Much appreciated :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,310
      If you are dismantling it yourself it's a good idea to take pictures along the way to help you reconstruct it. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
        +516
        Thanks! I am packed with a camera, choice of markers to label key panes of glass, 2 blankets and a giant roll of bubble wrap, gloves... and some assistants who will meet me there!
        Fingers crossed for easy dismantling, minimal breakages, favourable weather and competent assistants (to make up for me, ha ha). See you on the other side!

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +45,627
          @Anzia - take some basic tools, adjustable spanner, mole wrench, screwdrivers, pliers and a big hammer (just to threaten it with!) Most important a hacksaw in case of rusted bolts.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +45,627
            Oh and a flask of tea :)

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
              +516
              Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply. I only just made it back in time for work on Friday and then yesterday I went to Spetchley Park Gardens with a friend so today I'm catching up on things!

The greenhouse removal went very well. I did take a chinagraph pencil for numbering panes of glass and my phone for pics, but there are only 2 sizes of glass used so numbering wasn't needed. There were 2 cracked panes of glass already which IMO should have been mentioned in the ad (which just said VGC) but I'm hopeless at being assertive and couldn't bring myself to haggle.

Anyway, it's all back home. The frame is assembled but the glass is stacked safely elsewhere as I need to clear the area where it's going to be. That's a priority for this week as I want it in position and safely back together asap.

Thanks again for all your advice :)

• Like Like x 3
              • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Hi Anzia,

Hope it's all gone well. A greenhouse is something I may be looking at over at me mums next year. She noticed the other day that the shed ( only been entered once in 5 yrs ! ) was leaning, and she said if it started to collapse I could have a greenhouse :)

You don't know how tempted I am to give it a little kick or push, ( only a little one you understand ) Lol

PS.... Spetchley Park and you never popped in for a cuppa.... tut tut tut , it's only about 10 mls from me. Spring is the best time to go there, they hold a National Collection of Narcissi and Daffodil and a lot of the varieties we grow today were invented/raised there.

• Like Like x 2
                • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
                  +516
                  It's going very well, thanks! Slowly...
                  The greenhouse is now on a proper base - mortar, paving slab edge and middle path, gravel strips to the inner sides - and fully assembled on it with half the glass in. I ran out of glazing strip and have had to order more for it to be finished!

I'd definitely give your mum's shed a push. You'd only be helping it in the direction it wants to go anyway!

I didn't realise you were so close to Spetchley or I might have popped in and demanded a cuppa. It was a very hot day and I ended up using my umbrella as a sunshade while picnicing! Got some funny looks but hey. I'll definitely go back in spring as I didn't know about the narcissi and daffodils. They were doing repairs to the lake so it was drained and a bit smelly! It would be nice to see that properly too :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1