1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Buzzing

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by JR, Aug 19, 2020.

1. JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I've grown runner beans in the back garden over the years with mixed results.
    Yesterday while it was sunny, i was on the allotment (picking baskets of beans) and it occurred to me that there were dozens and dozens of buzzing happy bees, wasps and other chappies all over the plants.
    Hence no black fly and great pollination.
    The good open aspect coupled with wild flower fringes makes all the difference.
    At home i never get quite the same buzzing attendance.
    I'll plant a few more lavender plants etc at home next year! :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
      +224
      How fantastic! I was plagued by black fly this year. I've already decided that im going to take more care with the runners next year and plant lots more, in a bigger space, with bigger stakes :biggrin: They're a firm favourite here!

• Like Like x 1
      • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
        Ratings:
        +2,381
        Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too!
        The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean.
        (plenty in the freezer)
        I reckon that with all the perenial flowers down there, the insect balance is much better to combat the aphids. We've got 'echinops' 'agastache' 'comfrey' etc to draw them in.
        The other good feature is a pond. I installed a small one during April as many of the other plot holders have them.
        I'm convinced our croaky friends help control slugs.
        I grow all my veg from seed, and they do well in the conservatory, but as soon as they go outside, butterflies and moths are homing in.
        I've lost a few pak choi, and spring cabbage to them.
        I've started some more and I'll net them well.
        Once i transfer them to the allotment they'll be fine, and of course they are big enough to shrug off minor attacks :cat-kittyandsmiley:

Attached Files: