1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

C4 'The Autistic Gardener'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Adendoll, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +1,308
    Watched this tonight and loved it.
    I cannot wait for next weeks episode.
    Well done to C4 for opening up gardening on TV.

2. IceColdRum

IceColdRum Cacti & Herb Mad

Customer Service Advisor
    Ratings:
    +837
    I set it to record the other day so I'll have to watch it at some point today

Sent on the go from my telephone

• Like Like x 1
    • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      I watched it. I cant say i loved the design but i did love the programme and the people.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +1,308
        I agree with your comment Dips, the design was not really to my taste, but it seemed to meet the clients brief and hats off to them for supporting and commissioning the project.
        I thought it was fantastic to see how a mutual passion of gardening brought these lovely gardeners together as a team. Witnessing their pride in their achievements brought my to tears.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,631
          Me too @Adendoll I also felt a lot of empathy for the one guy who was struggling to speak (the one with long blonde hair) when my ME is bad and really affecting my brain function thats how i talk sometimes. Its like it doesnt translate from my brain to my mouth so i understand the frustration.

I loved the guy, who did the stumpery, personality he was immense.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +1,308
            This is what I liked the most from the programme, it helped the viewer understand whilst some folk have difficulty speaking or presenting things in a so called convential way, it doesn't mean they should be negated or belittled, the folk in the programme are demonstrating they are extremely knowledgeable and have a valuable contribution to make in society. They have a right to be heard.

I agree, there will be some real stars emerging from this programme, Charles the stumpery guy was really a natural presenter, such a big personality, the others although less extrovert are showing signs of real warmth and I think over the series will really capture the hearts of the public.
            I really look forward to their design ideas, I think as they are exposed to different garden design ideas they may develop their plans into more sophisticated gardens.

NB I think you will probably share the experience of autistics in other ways too Dips. Like ME the disorder is often negated and dismissed and it can be a real fight to access the treatments and support needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,631
              Totally agree @Adendoll

You will have to bare with me with this series i can never ever remember anyones names on these programmes

Charles's enthusiasm was infectious and i quite liked the guy who made the giant who doesnt make eye contact as well. The girl i thought was really sweet and lovely.

There are a few cross over things with ME and autism funnily enough. I use to volunteer at a rabbit resuce with an autistic girl who didnt have problems with communication and verbally expressing herself she spoke loads would often finish my sentences for me when i couldnt comunicate what i wanted to say or tell me the word i have forgetten etc but what we did have in common was the extreme sensitivity to light, sound and smell and having to deal with sensory overloads everyday and the physical pain that comes with that. Shes also suffered from chronic severe headaches like me too.

I also have noticed that i have stopped making eye contact with people as well. I mainly notice this with delivery drivers i look at them initially when i open the door but then not at any time while they hand the goods over because i find reading facial experessions and stuff exhausting so dont make eye contact with strangers and tend to look at stuff around that doesnt change or move so my brain only has to process that person talking and not them talking and their facial expression and everything else. Normally i have sunglasses on tho so i dont think they notice too much.

So there are a few overlaps with symptoms but then thats with most things as well and yes your right about stigma etc and fighting for understanding and support.

Im really looking forward to seeing what they produce because i always thing its interesting to see what people produce when they see the world differently to yourself.

I think it could get quite interesting

• Like Like x 1