1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cabbage eating Pest

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Greybelle, May 29, 2020.

1. Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    Can anyone identify what is eating these cabbage leaves. Very rapid nibbling it is too! The ground has been Nemaslugged to diminish slugs. Thought it might be the cabbage white butterfly problem but there are no eggs on the leaves and no caterpillars for identification. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Pigeon(s). The leaves have been torn rather than nibbled by small catterpillar mouths. A rabbit would have eaten bigger chunks/whole leaves.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,976
      Does look like caterpillars, but I think you need to go out after dark with a torch, could be snails.

• Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
      +33
      I'm handicapped so I can't get into the garden at night, but there are no slime trails anywhere. However, there are several wood pigeons around. I'll keep an eye out to see if our feathered friemds are abusing their garden privileges. Thanks a lot for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,155
        You need netting, pigeons will keep coming back till there is nothing left.

Probably too early in the year for Caterpillars.

I use butterfly netting which has smaller gaps to keep them out too, although they still sometimes find a way in.

• Agree Agree x 1