Cactus help

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Emma Hooker, May 29, 2020.

1. Emma Hooker

Emma Hooker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, hope you’re all well. I have a couple of cacti/succulents that I can’t seem to get right. They sit on my kitchen table to a south east facing garden and get sun from lunchtime onwards.

D0275ECA-BFA6-4890-8EF7-889AACAF408B.jpeg

The long branched one on the right, has started to shrivel, I’m guessing it may need a bit more water? Is that correct?

The one on the left, purple leaves, I’ve noticed that the leaves at the bottom no longer feel plump as it were, but the top ones still feel nice and firm. Is there anything I should be doing for this one?

C7E6C17F-8036-4867-8E54-5ED704B02E50.jpeg

I’ve had these two for nearly a year. The one on the left has never looked particularly healthy, I’ve tried giving it plenty of water, and also waited till bone dry, but nothing seems right. As you can see the leaves look slightly shrivelled and it never stands tall.

Any ideas why the one on the right isn’t pink/purple at the bottom?

Any advice or hints would be welcome. Thank you

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,398
    Not keen on mixing different plants in the same pot.
    I usually ends in disaster unless they are both very similar in the condition that they like.

I'm assuming the pots have no drainage holes?

And the pebbles on the surface stop you knowing how dry they actually are between waterings.

Having said that they look ok to me, not sure what the bic biro tops are doing :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Emma Hooker

Ratings:
      +9
      Thanks for the reply. The one in the pot of three was bought like that and doesn’t have drainage holes. The one with two does have drainage holes.
      haha! They were there to support the droopy cactus but it keeps doing it’s own thing!

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,398
        The cactus in the second pot is a really nice little plant.
        I think I'd definitely pot that up singly.;)

Looks like an Echinocereus, could be wrong I'm not great on IDing cacti.

• Like Like x 1
        • Emma Hooker

Ratings:
          +9
          I think you’re right having a quick look online. It was all pink to begin with but has got thinner at the base and less pink and not sure why

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Hello Emma.

Probably the first pot is of Crassula. Second pot, can't see clearly the droopy plant. The cactus may be a Rebutia. I will check later for you.

I find it's not the best practice to plant with NO drainage holes. I agree with Pete about the pebbles. To top dress pots, usually a fine grit is used. Often it is useful to buy a moisture meter, especially when dealing with the average size pots. I bought one many years ago, it indicates light value, moisture, pH.

Succulents do tend to lose lower leaves. Unfortunately a once plump leaf etc cannot be refuelled. Rather than waste such leaves etc. gently remove them ane insert the formally attached end, into some moist sharp sand, or a peaty or coir plus vermiculite. They are quick to root. Once a good root is formed, pot them up. At a guess I say that weak plant supported by whatever, may have been under or over watered at some time. Try and propagate it by cutting it in half and following the same steps as with the dying leaves. Best wishes.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
        • Emma Hooker

Ratings:
          +9
          Thank you so much for your detailed response. I think you’re right in that it is a Crassula. As mentioned, I bought this one as it is, but will think about repotting them with drainage holes and look at buying a moisture meter

I’ve looked at my notes from when I bought the second droopy plant and I believe it to be an
          Anacampseros Sunrise. But it doesn’t look like the images on google. Will try and propagate and cut in half. Fingers crossed.

With the succulent that the lower leaves are no longer plump, is there anything to do with the original plant having a rather long and bare stem?

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,398
            • Like Like x 1
            • Emma Hooker

Ratings:
              +9
              Little way of an update, managed to take two cuttings from the droopy cactus and a few leaves, and all have rooted . Only one leaf from the other succulent took root but they’re all looking good and should have a few more cactus to add to my collection

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2