1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Calandiva help.

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Bren, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Bren

Bren Apprentice Gardener

dancer
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi
    so i got this calandiva from the supermarket it says

"keep the plant in a well lit position but not in direct sunlight"
    I live in student accommodation, this is my only window. it doesn't face the sun and its blocked by a large building across the road
    should I keep the plant on the window sill because of how the light conditions are blocked etc. or would this be too "direct" and so i should leave it on the table like it is on the picture?

many thanks
    got more questions but ill post them later,Bren :-) IMG_20161212_185224[1].jpg IMG_20161212_185209[1].jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,637
    Hi, I think it might actually be a Kalanchoe,:)

I'd move it nearer the light.

Likes bright light, even sunshine at this time of the year.
    Go easy on the watering, let the compost dry out between waterings.

3. Bren

Bren Apprentice Gardener

dancer
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi @pete thanks for the speedy reply, so yes thank you ill try and move it closer.

the watering was the next thing i was going to ask, its still in its pot/compost from the supermarket so its quite soft but feels dry every couple (2) days so thats how often ive been watering is that too much/too little? plus would you recommend watering it at a specific time? (ive heard some plants like to be watered after sun down :-)) and do i just pour water on the soil or would it be better to water it from putting a dish of water underneath?

thanks again :-D so much it was a christmas present from my partner so i really want it to live

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,637
    Well, firstly I'd like to say that its the kind of pot plant that most people discard once its finished flowering.
    Basically its not a plant you keep from one year to another.

That said it should last a couple of months or so if looked after.

Less water is better than too much, but yes you need to water when ever it gets dry, a saucer under the pot means it gets a good soak, but any water left after an hour or so still in the saucer should be removed.
    The watering at sundown "thing" is more for garden plants during the summer.

5. Bren

Bren Apprentice Gardener

dancer
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks

so do you think it would help it live longer/healthier if i re potted it?
    its not pot bound i dont think i cant see roots coming out the bottom or anything but i was wondering if the change would help or if there is soil options out there that are more suited to succulent plants than the generic stuff all supermarket plants are in that would have benefit?

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,637
    I'd not repot it, as I say it is basically a flowering pot plant.

They can be grown on after flowering but without ideal conditions, ie a greenhouse etc. it is unlikely to flower well next year and will probably grow leggy and un attractive, losing its compact shape etc.