Calling Pete 'Cactus Man'

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Banana Man, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Pete any chance I could have a sneaky peak at your outdoor cactus enclosure. I am sure I saw a picture last year and need some inspiration to do something new with my cactus. :D

Cheers

Stu [​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,312
    Any time BM.
    I'm not sure as to what you mean, I do put a lot outside in the summer scattered around, and tend to put others in a cold frame i knocked together. Its not specifically for cactus though and the plants in there vary from time to time.
    [​IMG]
    This is the only one I can find at the mo, not very smart but it does the job.

I have always intended building a raised bed in a sunny spot somewhere in the garden and planting out a few of the hardy kinds, perhaps with a tempory winter cover to keep off excessive rain.
    Not got round to it though, maybe one day. :D

3. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Yes I recognise it now. I had a similar idea of building a raised bed in a sunny spot and then use a temporary cover in the winter. I saw a cheap job of a ply constructed box painted with PVA then rough rendered and painted. It looked really good and just the job for a family of cacti. Nice little job for the summer :D From what I have seen at RHS Hyde hall they can be planted quite shallow ? I have always had one or two around the house but you can get some lovely ones from B&Q ( [​IMG] ) now 3 for Ã?£1.98 which seems a great deal for such a wide variety.

[​IMG]

How are your bananas doing? Mine are trying to escape the roof, but I am a little cautious about setting them free because of the cool nights. I don't want to lose the flower as it contiunes to bloom.

[​IMG]

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,312
    Your getting quite a collection of cacti there, some are really hardy and even survive outside all winter in pots with no protection, others go to mush at the first frost. Many will survive with just a small amout of protection.
    The reason I said a raised bed was to allow for really good drainage, but I suspect you already know that.
    My Nanas are just leafing out, they get no protection these days but with the mild winter they have not lost any stem height.
    I must try to get another one to flower like yours do.

5. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I am thinking of being meaner to my nanas as I have flowers brewing for this year and stems ready for 2008. After that the grove will be a bit thin. If they get a winter knock back they will last longer I am hoping ?

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,312
    I dont know how long a particular root stock can last, indefinitly presumably, but it will move a long way after a few years I should think.
    Mine have been growing a few years and the clumps are increasing in size, not good if you're growing in a confined area, but I tend to like the natural look, (well untidy) anyway.

7. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    As much as I would like to let them wander, I haven't got the space to do that. :( This year and certainly next year will see that space reduced even further :eek: Monsters Inc. :D

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    OK lads on subject of nanas, I did not have much confidence in me hatching any of my banana seeds (5 to present date) so I bought an ensete ventricusum Maurellii (give or take a few mis spelt bits) I noted from jungle seed catalogue that they don't sell seed for this as it does not come true. BM has suggested keeping them until they get too big then letting them demise in North Yorks cold, but question is, do they produce succers, if you can't grow them from seed, then how are they replicates?

Now don't tell me they come from under a goosberry bush, I have heard that one before!

9. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Waco you have PM ;) Suckers and tissue culture BTW.