1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Camellia and plant potted saucers ..and wood bark advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by learningardener, Mar 27, 2021.

1. learningardener

learningardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    hello im concered..do camellias in pots need saucers underneath??? becauce im worried they can get root rot or fungus?? also i didnt put saucers to my other plants concerning the same problem..any advice and help pls?? also are woodbarks or wood chips ok to put on top on soil for camellias and other plants to keep moist (mine have)im worried the same becauce of insects and hidden pests underneath any help pls??
    thanks in advance..

2. luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
    Ratings:
    +125
    I did not think much about the pros and cons but, I never had root rot issues with potted camellias. The bottom layer of the pot had some gravel, broken crock, coarse wire mesh, coarse pine bark, etc. But I used that per container suggestions from the American Camellia Society that I found online, not because any of my other potted plants had pest problems or fungal issues. Sometimes I do not add any of these items to the bottom of the pot. I do not think the A. C. S. article on container gardening discussed 'using' versus 'not using' saucers.

An outdoor pot without a saucer can help improve the drainage so that water does not build up inside. But if you put a saucer, that can impede some drainage a little if you over-water and water collects for long periods of time on the saucer. On the other hand, saucers can help detect over-watering, recycle some of the excess water into other plants and even protect some surfaces like wood. Pots without saucers will sometimes look untidy as continuous watering causes some potting soil to exit through the drainage holes. Another plus is plants in pots do not have nearby soil that can help move some of the water out so when they are done absorbing water, the water will go into the saucer and you can see how much excess drains. Then you can give the plant more or less water the next time that you water.

As long as you monitor what happens to the excess water and make sure the drainage holes are not clogged, you should be fine. I cannot see this being a life or death issue unless you have some serious pest problems. Be aware that new camellias roots have roots that are tiny and shallow, normally found in the top 10 cms when planted outside. I find it more important to check that the pot does not become root bound after 2-3-? years. You may need to protect the pot if it gets too cold in winter where you are.

I currently used either hardwood mulch or pine needles as mulch for those that are planted in the ground.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021