1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Camellias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sewchic, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Sewchic

Sewchic Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gosh, firstly I don't even know if I have spelt the name right but here's hoping.
    Hello everyone, I am new here and I am hoping someone will be able to answer my very frustrating question.
    I have a camellia. It was grown from cutting by my friend about 4 years ago. She left the country and gave it to me still as almost a twig. I tended it and put in in the ground, I gave it the right compost and the leaves are gloriously green and healthy looking but it never flowers. I did have one the very first year that it went in the ground but only one. That was 2 or 3 years ago and none since. The plant is growing beautifully and like I say is very healthy looking with shiny green leaves. No sign of either infestation or mildew or anything.
    Anyone any ideas about why it won't flower. It seems such a shame to have such a beautiful shrub that doesn't flower. What am/have I done wrong.
    Thanks in advance

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If the leaves are a nice shiny dark green, then you are doing nothing wrong. Camelias can take a while to flower from cuttings. Neglect it a little til July and then start giving it a potash rich feed. Autumn is when the flower buds start and the only problem after that is if they get the early morning sun, after frost, when the buds may fall off. Best in west facing site.

3. Sewchic

Sewchic Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fran, I am about to do the Potash rich feed so fingers crossed next spring for me. Fortunately it is northwesterly position so I shall give it the time it needs and not fret so much.
    Sewchic

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Fingers will be crossed in spring, but hopefully you may seem some fat flower buds forming before then. If not, then patience - they are worth waiting for.