Can a Fatsia Japonica be moved?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Kevin Cowans, May 23, 2020.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello all

I hope you are well.

My garden was all planted last September, before my Patio was laid in March.

With the Patio done it has become apparent that a Fatsia Japonica is in the wrong place and needs to be moved, only a couple of feet, but still....

Is it possible to move a Fatsia Japonica and if so when would be the best time to move it, also, is there anything else I need to take into account?

The plant is still only relatively small, approximately 18".

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    I'd move it now seeing as it's not established yet. Dig your hole where you want to put it, add a bit of feed like chicken pellet or BFB, fill the hole with water, let it drain away, bung your fatsia in and water like buggery(WLB) for the rest of the summer!:ccheers:

• Like Like x 1
    • Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,048
      Hello @flounder

Thanks for the reply.

Following your advice I have now moved the Fatsia successfully.

The root mass was not much more than what was there when originally planted in September so it came out easily.

I really was not looking forward to moving it but I am glad I did, it looks much better in its new position.

I will proceed to water it well everyday for a week and then gradually ease off, hopefully that is the correct thing to do.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 2