can any one help me with inspiration.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sam k, Aug 17, 2005.

1. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, please can anyone give me some inspiration?
    I have been asked to help my sons local rugby club.They have a very very overgrown memorial garden covered with various low growing conifers, hidden underneath is the memorial stones - nobody knows they are there. I need plant ideas that will give all year round interest, look good in the winter. if anyone can help that would be great.

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sam
    Why not canvas the members to find out what they like? I work as a designer & always go through a questionnaire with clients, before thinking about what plants etc to include in a garden. Other things to think about are who will use the garden, when & how will it be used & who will look after it + how much money is available to do it up (e.g getting people involved & growing from seed , providing cuttings etc is considerably cheaper than buying in plants & would involve people more)
    The world is your oyster really as far as planting styles/ choice of plants go. Its best to ask questions of the people who will be most involved with the garden so they get what they want = will be more inclined to feel "ownership"

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I go with Bayleaf - its important to check what the members want from this - before decisions on plants are made.

From what you describe i.e. the garden has not been cared for, then what may be suitable may be limited e,g, a snall knot garden with the framework gravel on membrane, and the infill with something like ericas, or thymes, or other low growing plants - but even these will require care.

Its a memorial garden, but what do the club want from it - how much committment is there to care for it, what is it in memorial for. If the answeres are not a lot, or none - then there's little point in planting it.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    [​IMG] I agree with Bayleaf & Fran,
    You really need to canvas the members first otherwise you may find you put in all the hard work & effort & get nothing but moanes & groans when it is finished about, Oh you should have done this or that. It can be a very thankless task if your not careful & you will feel so squashed by their reactions, no matter that it is a memorial garden. Get them really involved in the planning even if you do the work...!!! ;)

[ 18. August 2005, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]