1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can any one help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andi04, May 28, 2005.

1. andi04

andi04 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a large back garden which becomes extremely flooded during rain, is there any advice on what to do to prevent it happening so i can create a usable garden for my children?

[ May 28, 2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: andi04 ]

2. JoMack

JoMack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on the extent of the problem really. If you have heavy clay soil, you could try improving the soil, if the problem is more severe than just the soil not draining, you may need to put in some land drains or dig a soak away. Sounds to me as though you may be better getting a builder's opinion if the problem is really bad as there may be something more serious underlying, which could be causing damp or damaging your foundations. Sorry, but that would be the worst senario! Ours is a fairly new house, and the back garden is terrible because there is no depth of soil and just a pile of buiders concrete about 2 feet below the top soil, so there is no where for the water to go.
    Good luck.

3. andi04

andi04 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks that may solve the reason why i have just had to have a damp proof course done on my house

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    When our village expanded with a new Estate, builder sold off all the topsoil,right down to claybed and is almost on sealevel....so ever since, this new owners spent lots of money to replace it with good new topsoil, peat and sand....some Builder ! lol

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they learn to do it in "Builders School" ;)