1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anybody help please?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jojo1, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Jojo1

Jojo1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Great forum!!
    Could anyone answer two questions for me please?
    I've planted these in my garden, (See below) they were from my Nan, Now we're not sure exactly what they are, or how to look after them.
    Also, Can anyone please tell me how to look after an Azaelea ? I'm looking after one of my Mum's, its now getting very bushy, & I'm not sure what to do next with it.
    Thanks, Any help greatly appreciated, (Comp's I can cope with But plants are something totally different lol!) [​IMG]

My Mum's Azaelea
    [​IMG]

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    The top pic is (I think) erigeron otherwise known as fleabane. Acording to my little girl's book of knowledge it is a perennial, likes a bit of shade and should be treated as an alpine, i.e. not given excessively wet ground.

As for the azalea it looks find to me - maybe a little tidy-up clip and a feed sometime but otherwise fine. You got a nice shrub there, Jojo.

3. Jojo1

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You michaelmasdaisy.

You say about not being given excessively wet ground, but they seem to droop when not watered lots.
    Someone else told me they may be "Everlasting" ?? They grow as "Dried flowers".

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I have some of the ones in top pic, we always just called them everlasting flowers as they make great dried flowers for winter cheer indoors. [​IMG]

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Out of my depth here but I think the top one is Helicrysum, and whatever it is you are doing to the Azalea, carry on, it looks great

6. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Top one is indeed Helichrysum (or everlasting flower or strawflower) with some feverfew poking out on the right. Sun, moist but,well drained conditions, so does like water, but doesn't like to be standing in it long + does need a bright spot. Azalea looks good! can cope with a bit of shade, water with rain water if possible (not absolutely necessary) & feed with a feed for ericaceous (acid loving) plants (such as miracid - if you must!). If you have a real christmas tree, save the dropped needles & mulch the pot with them - they are acid. If you do repot it use ericaceous compost.

7. Jojo1

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies you've all helped immensely. I'm glad I'm not harming the Azalea the way I'm looking after it. Its my Mum's "Pride & Joy" It gives beautiful Cerise Pink flowers in the summer [​IMG]

Bayleaf.... I was thinking about moving the Azalea into the main garden as it seems to be outgrowing the pot. Bad Idea ??

Ps Great Forum with Very helpful members Cheers :D

8. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jojo
    Not necessarily a bad idea - it depends on your soil pH - get a test kit from a garden centre, & follow the instructions - if the pH is 6 or below your Azalea should be fine, if not, excavate a hole quite a bit bigger than the root ball & surround your plant with ericaceous compost, or pot into a larger container & sink into the ground. hope this helps.

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    a couple of years ago I planted a Rhododendron in my garden by digging a big hole, dropping a well punctured black plastic bin liner into it and filling it with a bag of ericaceous compost and the rhodo seems to be doing just fine.

On reflection I could have just put in the bag of compost itself but probably the plastic bin liner was bigger! ;) [​IMG]

[ 07. August 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

10. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :)Hi M/daisy.
    Have done a similar thing to stop a shrub drying out too much as we have such lovely soil, but it drys very quickly as it is so free draining. The plant is very happy under these conditions [​IMG] was very unhappy till I did that [​IMG]